Nowadays I’m trying to publish ground beef versions aof my traditional vegan recipes. The recipes are almost the same, apart from the ground beef but they are constantly asked. Instead of explaining in the comments one by one I decided to share the most frequently asked recipes.
In ground beef recipes it’s a big question if the ground beef or the onion should be cooked first. I usually prefer to sautee the ground beef first. But sometimes I find myself adding the onion first as a habit of traditional Turkish style cooking and I do not care this. I prefer to cook the beef first to completely evaporate the gravy. When it is added after the onion, the onion is overcooked until the beef reaches this stage. But it’s not a big thing to worry. In short, there is no huge difference between cooking the ground beef first and cooking the onion first.
I added the potatoes after the peas are almost cooked. Although peas are fresh, they are not as easily cooked as a potatos. If potatoes are added at the same time with peas, the potatoes will be overcooked.
You can use frozen peas also. You do not have to thaw the peas for this, you can add them directly to the pot. If you are using frozen peas, the tomato season is likely to have passed. In that case, you can use canned grated tomatoes. If you are using canned tomatoes instead of fresh tomatoes, you can use half cup.
You can also cook with canned peas. Because the canned peas are already cooked, what you need to do is to apply the same recipe apart from the peas (adding the potatoes together with the carrots) and adding the canned peas just 5 mins. before removing the pot from heat. 300-350 grams of canned peas would be enough
Enjoy the recipe…
- 500 g fresh peas,
- 100-150 g ground beef,
- 1 onion, chopped,
- 2 potatoes, chopped,
- 1 carrot, chopped,
- 1 tomato, chopped,
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste,
- 3-4 tablespoons vegetable oil,
- Remove the peas from the shells, wash and drain,
- In a deep pan heat oil, add ground beef and sautee until it changes color,
- Add the onion and sautee until soft,
- Add the tomato paste and sautee until smells good,
- Add the tomatoe and mix well,
- Add peas and carrots and sautee for a few minutes more,
- Add enough water to cover it and cover the lid half open,
- Cook until the peas are almost soft (check for water and add hot water if necessary),
- Add potatoes and cook until soft,
- Add salt, stir and remove from the heat.