Okra Stew With Ground Beef
Okra is a vegetable that many people not only dislike, but say terrible things about. Normally, I don't like this attitude towards food, but I'm not complaining about okra. Thanks to people who do not eat okra, we okra lovers are left with more okra.
I am an okra lover who loves all kinds of dishes made with okra, from the recipe for okra with olive oil to the dried okra dish. Even though I don't normally like vegetable dishes with ground beef, I even like okra with ground beef. Especially if you have rice pilaf and cacik along with it, you can't get enough of it.
The most frequent question I get from my readers and my close circle about recipes with ground beef is whether the ground beef or the onion should be stir fried first. There is actually no rule about it. The important thing is to cook the ground beef until the water/broth of the ground beef is evaporated and the onion until it is completely soft. So when it's cooked for enough time, it doesn't matter which one is added first. I usually prefer to add the ground beef first and make sure that I have completely evaporated its water. But when I do the opposite, there is no notable change that I observe.
While talking about okra, I would like to remind you of the video of how to store okra in the freezer.
Finally, I will touch on the spice issue. I like to use paprika in tomato paste dishes. A spice that intensifies the color and flavor. Other than that, I usually don't use spices unless there is a special occasion for the recipe. I only sprinkle cayenne pepper on it from time to time while eating it. I don't have a habit of adding it to food. As you know, not everyone likes hot spice. When it is not clear to whom the food is prepared, it seems more appropriate to keep the spices that not everyone likes for the service.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 500 g okra, stalks cleaned,
- 200 g low fat ground beef,
- 1 onion, chopped,
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste,
- 1 tsp paprika,
- 3-4 tablespoons of vegetable oil,
- Salt to taste.
- Take oil in a pot,
- Add the ground beef and cook until it changes colour,
- Add into the onions and sautee until softened,
- Add the tomato paste and sautee until smells good,
- Add the paprika and stir well,
- Add the okra,
- Sautee until the color of the beans gets dark green,
- Add enough hot water to pass 2 fingers over (add less water for the pressure cooker),
- Bring to a boil,
- Decrease the heat, cover the lid and cook until the beans are softened,
- Add salt, stir, bring to a boil and remove from heat.