Fruit Caviar Recipe
As the name suggests, fruit caviar is a caviar-like food/decoration made with fruit. In summary, it is obtained by mixing fruit juice with a vegetable-based gelatin called agar agar, dripping into oil and solidifying it suddenly. I used orange and grapefruit juice for this recipe, but you can make any juice you want. This includes pomegranate juice, cherry juice, kiwi juice, strawberry juice, and yes, that fruit juice you have in mind.
You can also use fruit caviar to decorate dessert recipes and cake recipes, on small canapes or in cold drinks such as lemonade to give it a colorful and pleasant appearance. Fruit caviar is water resistant. It will not dissolve in water if it is not kept for too long. But there is an exception to this; the water being hot. If the water is hot, it will melt quickly.
Is Agar Agar Necessary?
Agar agar is plant based gelatin. You can also use animal gelatin instead. But ingredients such as cornstarch, flour or rice flour do not give the same result. Whether it is animal or plant based, it must be gelatin. Gelatin can clump together when mixed with juice, but melts as it heats up. Before using it, it is necessary to wait for the first heat to come out. But be careful about this waiting time. It may freeze if left too long. But don't let that worry you. When you heat the frozen gelatin, it will liquefy again and become usable.
Is Oil Necessary?
It is essential because of its high density. It doesn't matter if it's just oil. Having plenty of oil is also very important. When you drop the jelly into the oil, it does not solidify immediately. This process continues until the drop settles to the bottom. Therefore, the oil must be deep and the sinking process must take time. But don't worry. After making your fruit caviar, you can filter and use the oil again.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 3/4 teaspoon of orange juice,
- 3/4 cup of grapefruit juice,
- 1 teaspoon of agar agar,
- 3/4 cup of sunflower oil, kept in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Take orange juice and grapefruit juice in two different sauce pans,
- Add half of the agar agar to orange juice and the other half to grapefruit juice and mix,
- Bring the two to a boil, stirring constantly, take them off the heat and let them sit for 3-4 minutes,
- Pull the orange into a syringe and drop it drop by drop into the oil,
- The drops will solidify and sink to the bottom,
- Pass the oil through a strainer along with the drops,
- Wash the drops in cold water,
- Pull the grapefruit into the syringe and do the same.