Spinach Cake Recipe
Spinach season is slowly coming to an end. It is not easy to find fresh spinach these days, as it was at the beginning of winter. If you come across it at the market or in the market, I don't think you should miss the undamaged spinach leaves. You will also have the opportunity to try this cake.
One of the most common questions I get about cake is the color of the cake. As a matter of fact, I didn't know there was a problem with the color. I hadn't thought much about it either. But when I looked carefully at what I did in my next experiments, I saw that some things that were not paid attention to would adversely affect the color of the cake. First of all, the choice of spinach is important. The fresher it is, the better the color of your spinach cake will be. I don't know if you've noticed before, but hard leaf spinach is darker in color and turns darker when cooked. Secondly, you should pay attention to the cooking method. I think the best method is steam cooking. When it is boiled in water, some of the color will be removed during this process while straining the water. You should prepare the puree just before the cake. After pureeing, the color will darken as it waits. If you don't want to leave the preparation of the spinach to the last minute, you can cook it a day in advance and store it in the fridge. But do not keep this period longer than 1 day. Use not only the leaves, but also the stems of the spinach. Since the color of the stems is lighter, it will make the Puree and therefore the cake have a more vivid color.
For pastry cream, you can use the cream in the recipe or you can use whipped cream. For a 24 cm cake, it will be sufficient to whisk 2 packets of whipped cream with 1.5 cups of milk. But no whipped cream gives the flavor of fresh cream. Whipped cream is my life saver in the kitchen, if you say I will never give up, at least try to buy from good brands. Because the flavors of whipped cream (especially those sold in some markets) belonging to unknown brands are competing with each other in artificiality. Some of them even have a bad smell as well as the aroma. If you have a brand that you buy all the time, your taste may be used to it. But you may be torturing your guests without knowing it.
You can prepare the cake for your guests a day in advance and serve it the next day. It will be sufficient to store it in the refrigerator in an airtight manner.
Enjoy the recipe...
For the cake;
- 3 eggs,
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar,
- 1 cup of milk,
- 3/4 cup of vegetable oil,
- 1 cup of spinach puree (boiled spinach drained and blended)
- 25 g of baking powder,
- Vanilla extract,
- 2.5 cups of flour.
For the frosting;
- 2 cups of cold heavy cream,
- 4 tablespoons of powdered sugar.
- Cream together eggs and sugar until white and frothy,
- Add the milk, vanilla extract and vegetable oil and whisk,
- Add the spinach puree and whisk,
- Add the flour and baking powder, then stir until you get a smooth batter,
- Pour into a greased 30 cm cake pan,
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius oven until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean,
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before inverting on a platter,
- Whip the cold heavy cream and sugar using an electric mixer until you get stiff peaks,
- Flatten the top of the cake using a knife (this trimmed part will also be used to cover the top of the cake so if you think you need more, also trim half a centimeter from the sides),
- Cut the cake in half,
- Spread some of the whipped cream on top of the first layer, then place the second layer on top,
- Now spread the rest of the whipped cream on top and on the sides of the cake,
- Crumble the trimmed cake pieces (use a food processor if needed) and cover the top of the cake with them.