I obsess over a different artichoke recipe every year and cook it all the time. My obsession for this year is whole artichokes with olive oil. There is no artichoke discs here anyway. As far as I saw from a Spanish how to clean artichokes video that I came across recently, here they do not remove the hairy part in the middle of the artichokes also. I should have understood from the fact that the middle of frozen artichokes, which I bought once saying “oh, how beautiful ready to use artichokes are” turned out to be hairy inside. At the time I thought it was a mistake of the food industry. After watching the video, I realized that it wasn’t. At first one may think that maybe they can be eaten with the hair also, but unfortunately they can’t. It feels hairy in the throat while eating. You probably won’t be uncomfortable if you get used to it, but if you are used to the soft consistency from the beginning and you will probably be uncomfortable while eating them. Long story short, we differ with the Spaniards on how to eat artichokes.
For me, the best form of artichoke is cooked to be soft. Even if it is an artichoke with olive oil made from an artichoke disc or artichoke with fresh peas made from whole artichokes, my expectations do not change. I am preparing the whole artichoke recipe with olive oil in line with the same expectation. Artichokes and also carrots, and rice are cooked in the softest consistency possible, but they will not disperse.
The flour, sugar, salt, lemon juice seasoning I use in olive oil dishes is standard. Often it gives excellent results without the need for modification. But sometimes, depending on the ingredients or my current expectation, a slight lack of flavor can be felt. For this reason, after cooking, I always taste the dish and add salt, sugar or lemon juice if necessary. I recommend you to do this check too.
- 8 whole artichokes,
- 3 medium carrots,
- 1 onion,
- 1/4 cup of rice,
- 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil,
- The juice of half a lemon,
- 1 teaspoon of flour,
- 1 teaspoon of sugar,
- 1 teaspoon salt,
- 4 cups of water.
- Tear off the thick outer leaves of the artichokes in several layers,
- Cut the thick and dark part on the ends until the light colored part (about two fingers) comes out,
- Cut the artichokes into quarters and remove the hairy part in the middle (if you cannot do this quickly, soak the artichokes in lemon water),
- Chop the onion finely and chop the carrots in round slices,
- Whisk water, lemon juice, salt, sugar and flour in a bowl,
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, add the onion and cook for a few minutes,
- Add carrots and artichokes and mix,
- Add the lemon water mixture into it,
- Cover and cook over low-medium heat until all are softened slightly,
- Add the rice, mix and cook until all the ingredients are wholly soft.