In Turkey artichokes are let grow bigger. By this way the meaty part at the center becomes larger and this part is used for cooking different types of dishes such as artichoke with olive oil and lamb artichoke recipes. I have been living in Spain for a while. As here they use the artichoke as a whole, I started to cook artichoke the same way. This made me discover and invent new recipes.
Artichoke salad that I make with fresh herbs is one of them. As artichoke is one of the first vegetables of spring, I decided to combine it with green herbs which also smells spring.
The result is fantastic. At my first trial I served in with meat. It was a real good combination. Then we tried it with chicken and pasta at different times and they were both delicious. Briefly, you can cook it with anything you want. You can also eat it as a main dish all by itself.
Enjoy the recipe…
- 5 artichokes,
- 1 lemon,
- 1/4 cup of olive oil,
- 1 clove of garlic, minced,
- 1 handful of parsley, chopped,
- 1-2 branch fresh thyme, chopped,
- A pinch of fresh rosemary, chopped,
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes,
- Put 3 cups of water in a small pot squeeze half of the lemon,
- Remove the thick outer leaves of the artichokes,
- Cut the dark green, firm part (1-2 cm) on the tips,
- If you have stiff parts on the edges, cut it all around,
- Halve them and remove the hairy part, put immediately in to the lemon+water mixture,
- After all the artichokes are cleaned, take the pot on the heat and cook until the artichokes are softened,
- Meanwhile combine parsley, thyme and rosemary, garlic, olive oil, remaining lemon juice, pepper flakes and salt in a small bowl and mix well,
- Drain the artichokes and place them on a serving tray,
- Toss the sauce over them with a tea spoon,
- Set aside in the fridge and rest for a few hours.