There is no celery root in Madrid. Only stalks of celery are sold in markets. That’s why I’m buying celery root in my travels to different places. With one of the celeries I bought in those trips, I made this celery puree. I’ve served it with kofte, they went really well together. But I’m sure it will be good with grilled meat and chicken also.
I imitated potato puree while making celery root puree. Celery root is not as much starchy as potatoes, so the consistency was not as dense as potato puree but the taste was spectacular.
If you don’t like celery or someone at home doesn’t like it, you can mix it with potatoes. It will somehow dilute the flavor and smell less. But if you love celery, try this recipe as soon as possible
You can serve celery root puree as a side dish (as I said together with kofte, meat or chicken) or you can also use it to prepare small tapas for different invitations by spreading it on toasted breads. If you wish, you can place tiny meatball balls over them or you can enrich them with meat products such as salmon / turkey smoked.
You can keep it in the refrigirator for 3 days or in the freezer for 6 months.
Enjoy the recipe…
- 1 medium sized (around 400 g) celery root (peeled and chopped),
- 1 tbsp butter,
- 1 cup of milk,
- Salt and pepper to taste,
- A handful of chopped parsley.
- Place chopped celery into a pot and cover with water,
- Bring to a boil and decrease the heat,
- Simmer until the celeries are soft,
- Melt the butter in a separate pot,
- Add the celery and stir,
- Add the milk and stir and blend with a hand blender until smooth,
- Add salt and pepper and mix,
- Cook until the desired consistency,
- Remove from heat, add chopped parsley and stir.