After Corona, I started to find happiness in much smaller things. Normally, artichokes are small or even tiny in Spain. Whatever happened after Corona, artichokes grew. It’s possible that they can’t be collected frequently as before. When you clean them, a small disc comes out of it (we call it artichoke bowl in Turkey). This makes it more suitable for stuffed artichokes. Taking this opportunity this year’s favorite artichoke dish became enginar dolması, which is stuffed artichoke or artichoke dolma.
Eating vegetables relieves your conscience and meets your desire to consume carbohydrates resulting from crisis psychology.
Stuffed artichoke is one of the important dishes of Izmir cuisine. Even though Izmir kofte came out of Izmir and spread to all other regions and cities, artichoke dolma could not achieve this. One of the reasons for this is that artichoke is not so common and accessible elsewhere. Another thing is that it is a bit troublesome to eat the artichoke dolma.
How to Eat artichoke dolma?
Unfortunately, it is not possible to eat the artichoke dolma with a fork or a spoon. The tip of the artichoke leaves is too fibrous and hard to eat. For this reason, large artichokes are usually cleaned and turned into a bowl and consumed this way. If they are small, they are cleaned and consumed with only tender leaves around. Artichoke in dolma is used as a whole and cleaning is done while eating. Starting from the outer part of artichoke dolma, you can take the leaves one by one and eat like a stuffed mussel. You can scrape the edible parts on the inside of an artichoke leaf with your teeth.
The things that give flavor to artichoke stuffed are greens and black pepper. Do not be shy about greenery. If you have it, you can use scallions instead of onion. You can use 2-4 scallions instead of one onion, depending on the size.
Enjoy the recipe…
- 6 whole large artichokes,
- 1.5 cups of rice,
- 1 onion (if you have scallions, you can use them as well)
- 1 handful of chopped parsley,
- 1 handful of chopped dill,
- 1 handful of chopped fresh mint,
- 1 teaspoon salt,
- 1 teaspoon of sugar,
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper,
- Chop the onion and stir fry with 5-6 tablespoons of olive oil in a sauce pan until softens,
- Add the washed and drained rice and cook for a few minutes more on low heat.,
- Add salt, sugar, pepper and chopped greens, mix and remove from heat,
- Cut off the stems and very hard parts of the artichokes,
- Tear off thick and bad looking leaves from outer part,
- Remove the middle with a knife and remove the hair with a teaspoon,
- Put the cleaned artichokes into a bowl full of lemon water (pour the water and squeeze a lemon into it) so that they do not darken while cleaning others,
- After cleaning all the artichokes, extend the middle part and between leaves and fill them with rice mixture,
- Place the artichokes in a deep pan,
- Add water and add some olive oil,
- Cover the lid and cook until the artichokes and rice are soft on medium heat (you can add boiling water if the water runs out),
- You can serve hot, warm or cold.