When it comes to summer food, people think of food that are light, cold and generally made with vegetables. As if everyone is cooking vegetable dishes with olive oil like green beans or roasted eggplants everyday. No such thing. Summer is long. It is ok to eat green beans, but you cannot eat only green beans all along the summer.
Kilis tava, which is made with summer vegetables and with ground meat which gains the status of “can be prepared for guests”, is one of them. Kilis is a small town in the south of Turkey and Kilis tava (which means Kilis pan) is one of the most popular dishes of Kilis.
I don’t know what the Kilis people think about it, but Kilis tava is a dough free thick lahmacun for me. What makes me think about it is both its preparation method and its taste. In the meantime, if the preparation method is not fully in your mind, you can take a look at the lahmacun video.
Since I had ground lamb meat, I used ground lamb meat directly. But if you have chopped lamb meat available and want to make the recipe properly as in the original version, you can also chop the lamp meat yourself.
This is the first difference between the original version of the recipe and the home made version. The second one is the place it is baked. Originally it is baked in wood fired stone ovens. If you have the opportunity you can bake it in a wood fired oven.
You can use potatoes instead of eggplants at the base of the minced meat mixture. But since we are in the summer season and making eggplant with eggplant everywhere is a better option for me at the moment. We always eat potatoes, but eggplants are not like that. It is useful to eat plenty when there is.
Enjoy the recipe…
- 500 g ground or chopped lamb meat,
- 1 onion,
- 1 green pepper,
- 1 red pepper,
- 1 handful of parsley,
- Black pepper,
- Pepper flakes,
- 1 eggplant,
- For peppers, tomatoes and onions.
- If you are going to use chopped lamb meat, chop it finely until minced with a chopping knife,
- Chop onions, parsley and peppers finely in the same way with a chopping knife,
- Combine the ground lamb meat and vegetables together and sprinkle them with salt, pepper and pepper flakes,
- Chop+blend again with a chopping knife until well mixed,
- Peel and slice the eggplant and spread it on the bottom of a 26-30 cm baking dish,
- Spread the chopped meat mixture in an equal thickness,
- Garnish with chopped tomatoes, peppers and onions,
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190 degrees until golden brown.