- 4 large onions, halved and thinly sliced,
- 2 cloves of garlic, mashed,
- 1 heaping spoon of butter,
- 2 tbsp flour,
- 2 cups beef broth,
- 3 cups water at room temperature,
- 1tsp pepper,
- 1 tsp dried thyme,
- 1 tsp sugar,
- Salt to taste.
- 2 slices of baguette for each bowl,
- 1 tbsp of grated mozzarella and 1 tsp grated parmesan for each bowl.
- Melt the butter in a deep pan, add onions and garlics,
- Cook for 30-35 mins. in low heat, stirring frequently,
- Add sugar and cook for 5 mins. more,
- Add flour and cook for a few mins., constantly stirring,
- Add water and broth stir constantly and fast until no lumps,
- Add salt, pepper and thyme, stir,
- Cover the lid and cook in low heat for 10-15 mins.,
- Remove from heat and ladle the soup in heatproof bowls,
- Place 1 slice of bread in each bowl and wait until the slices absorbs the soup, then place another slice on top,
- Sprinkle grated cheeses on top,
- Place the bowls into a baking dish, pour some water into the dish,
- Place the dish into the upper rack of the oven, preheated at 180 C degrees, and bake until golden on top.