Chocolate and Hazelnut Thumbprint Cookies
Chocolate filled hazelnut cookies are a rich, delicious and eye-catching cookie recipe that can be served even as a dessert after a meal. Simple cookie dough is shaped and dipped in ground hazelnuts. The middle is hollowed to prepare for the chocolate to be added later.
Cooked cookies get a crispy consistency and meet with melted chocolate after cooling. You can use dark, milk or even white chocolate for the top of the cookies. You can use walnuts or almonds instead of hazelnuts to coat the outside. Of course, these choices will change the flavor of the cookies.
I will not pass without sharing a few tips about this cookie recipe and all other cookie recipes. If butter is used in cookie recipes, be sure to follow the recommended consistency. For example, this recipe requires butter at room temperature. Butter at room temperature is the butter that has waited for a certain time at room temperature, and when you press your finger on its thickest part, it is soft enough for your finger to easily get into it. If you use melted butter in cookie recipes that call for butter at room temperature, you'll need to use more flour than necessary, which will make your cookies tough. If you use cold butter, you won't be using enough flour and the cookies will spread or become out of shape as they bake.
Another thing to consider is to always add the flour gradually, controlling the consistency of the dough. When you add all the flour once, it becomes difficult to mix the ingredients, you can't get a homogeneous dough, and from time to time, this amount of flour may be too much, and as I wrote above, when the flour is too much, your cookies may be hard.
The last thing I need to emphasize is that the oven should be fully preheated. When the oven is not fully heated, the cookies do not start to bake immediately after they enter the oven, they gradually heat up and spread. The reason for the moments when you get a huge cookie the size of a tray instead of cookies in pieces is that the oven is not preheated.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 100 g of butter at room temperature,
- 1 egg,
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar,
- 1 heaping tablespoon of cocoa powder,
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder,
- 2-2.5 cups of flour,
- 1 cup of finely chopped hazelnuts,
- 75 g of chocolate of your choice.
- Take the butter, powdered sugar and egg in a mixing bowl and whisk,
- Add cocoa powder and whisk,
- Add the flour gradually and mix,
- Add the baking powder along with the flour and mix,
- Add the remaining flour gradually and knead,
- Take walnut-sized pieces from the mixture and roll them into balls and cover with hazelnuts,
- Press and make a hollow in the middle with your finger,
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees until they crack slightly,
- Melt the chocolate and divide into the pits in the middle of the cookies.