Italian cuisine which is thought to be nothing more than pizza, pasta, tiramisu, panna cotta and gnocchi has a lot more recipes left in the shade of those I mentioned above. Crispy, delicious and easy to make baci di dama cookie is one of those hidden gems. Not to mention the it’s cute shape. It takes its name from this shape actually. Baci di dama means lady kiss/lady’s kiss.
Almond flour disperses in the mouth and gives a very nice consistency to the cookie. As a matter of fact, the first cookies were made with hazelnut flour, not almond flour. However, in the early 1800s, the patent holder of the cookie received the patent with almonds and its almond version became more common. But it is still made with hazelnuts also. You can make this cookie with almonds or hazelnuts.
But what you need to pay attention is not to ground hazelnut and / or almond yourself but use hazelnut/almond flour. If you try to ground hazelnuts and almonds yourself at home, they will either be very coarse-grained or will become liquefied by the effect of the oil they have. To fully understand this liquid consistency, check out the honeymoon cookie video. Hazelnut flour and almond flour don’t have oil and they are both fine-grained and powdered.
Another important point for these cookies is to add flour part by part as in all pastries, by checking the consistency of the dough and add as much as necessary for the dough. In addition to flour, sugar should also be added according to taste by tasting the dough. Otherwise, it’s not even a matter of having cookies with little or too much sugar for your taste.
Enjoy the recipe…
- 1 cup flour,
- 1 cup almond flour,
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar,
- 100 g of cold butter, cut in cubes,
- 1 egg yolk,
- 50 g of chocolate.
- Mix the almond flour and powdered sugar in a deep bowl,
- Add the butter and egg yolk, rub with your fingers.
- After the butter is softened, add the flour gradually, checking the consistency and knead until you get a soft dough that doesn’t stick to your hand,
- Cover and rest in the fridge for 30 min.,
- Make balls in the size of hazelnuts and place into a baking tray covered with wax paper,
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 170 ° C until you see tiny cracks on top,
- Turn off the heat and bake for 5 min. and remove from the oven,
- Melt chocolate in microwave,
- After the cookies and chocolate have cooled down, apply a small piece of chocolate under half of the cookies and paste the other half into the chocolate cookies.
- Rest in the fridge until the chocolate completely frozen 10-15 min.