Chicken Vermicelli Soup Recipe
Chicken vermicelli soup was one of my favorite soups in my childhood. I have shared vermicelli soup recipes such as vermicelli soup aor zucchini vermicelli soup but somehow never had the opportunity to share chicken vermicelli soup. Let's just say it was not the right time and now it is.
In chicken soups, many people think that they need to boil the chicken in advance and add the chicken and broth to the soup separately. So, for example in my sour chicken soup recipe many people are confused as the chicken is not pre cooked. I will try to explain the process a little bit.
How is chicken broth obtained? We put the chicken in water and boil it. What do we do when the chicken is directly added? We add water to the chicken and boil it. So? I guess you can do the math. Although the routes are different, the destination is the same: the chicken boiled in the water.
If we talked enough about the chicken in the soup, let's talk a little bit of vermicelli. The soups are thicken as they wait and cool down because of the starch they contain. As vermicelli and its derivatives add more starch to the soup, and because it is high starchy as well the vermicelli soups even thicken more. When they are heated, they become liquid again. As many people do not know this, they add water to the soup before heating it. In many cases this is not necessary. So, heat the soup first, check the consistency, if necessary, just add hot water and boil for one min. more.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 1 cup vermicelli,
- Half chicken breast, chopped finely,
- 1 green pepper, chopped,
- 1 tomato, chopped,
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste,
- 1 tbsp butter,
- 4-5 cups of water at room temperature,
- 1 tsp dry mint.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the chicken and sauté until it changes colour,
- Add the peppers and sauté until soft,
- Add the tomato paste and sauté until it smells good,
- Add the small chopped tomatoes and sauté for a few mins.,
- Add the water and vermicelli and stir well,
- Cook until the vermicellis are soft by stirring occasionally,
- Add salt and mint, stir and remove from heat.