Vegan Mushroom Kokorec Sandwich Recipe
I made the mushroom kokoreç for the first time because it is a popular vegan recipe and I thought it should be among my recipes. We both loved it so much that it became one of our regular meals. Mushrooms have never been a main dish for me. I didn't find mushrooms satisfying. That's why I always see it as a side dish and cook it in that way.
For example, I love sauteed mushrooms, but I cannot fill my stomach with sauteed mushrooms. I always look for something with it. The only mushroom dish that can fill me up may be the keşkek with mushrooms. Now there is a second meal that I can be satisfied; mushroom kokorec.
By the way kokoreç is a traditional Turkish sandwich made with sheep's intestines. Normally, I don't like kokorec. That's why for me now kokoreç means mushroom kokoreç. Next to it, I like pickled hot peppers and turnip juice. What a menu.
I use oyster mushrooms in mushroom kokoreç, but you can also make it with other types of mushrooms. Only if they are too dark inside will the color of kokoreç be darker. Be careful about choosing the mushrooms
You can change the spices of the mushroom kokorec according to your taste. But in my opinion, do not change it unless there is an important reason such as allergies. All of them perfectly complement the taste of the sandwich.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 800 g oyster mushrooms,
- 2 green peppers,
- 2 tomatoes,
- 7-8 tablespoons of olive oil,
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper,
- 1 teaspoon of cumin,
- 1 teaspoon of dried mint,
- 1 teaspoon paprika,
- 2 teaspoons of thyme,
- Salt to taste.
- Chop the mushrooms finely,
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and add the mushrooms,
- Fry them, stirring frequently, until they release their juice and it evaporates,
- Add the peppers that you cut into small pieces and stir fry until the peppers soften slightly and the mushrooms are browned,
- Add the finely chopped tomatoes and stir fry until soft,
- Add salt and spices, mix and remove from heat,
- Put it between the warmed breads and serve immediately.