When we talk about keşkek, you can think of it with meat or chicken but nothing else in Turkish cuisine. Although the wheat part alone is very tasty, vegans and vegetarians still cannot eat because they generally add meat or chicken broth. With this recipe, I intended to break through this habit and make it vegan.
Mushrooms are a good alternative for those who don’t eat meat, but it generally needs a side dish. Keşkek successfully fulfills this supporting role. It is both delicious and satisfying. Also next to a glass of şalgam suyu, ohh my god!!! If you’re not vegan, you can take a glass of ayran as well.
Which Mushroom Should I Use?
I usually prefer chestnut mushrooms in such recipes. Although it doesn’t make any difference as a cultivation method, it seems more natural to me than cultivated mushrooms. I have a tendency not to use oyster mushrooms also. They are not my first choice because I don’t like the look of real oysters and oyster mushrooms reminds me of oysters. Sometimes people ask me what brand I prefer or what type of ingredients I use. I don’t think you should ask me. There are no rational reasons under my preferences, so please use whatever mushrooms you like.
Enjoy the recipe…
- 1,5 cups of wheat grains,
- 400 g mushrooms,
- Black pepper,
- 3-4 tablespoons of oil,
- 1 tsp ground chilli pepper,
- 1 handful of chopped parsley.
- Wash and drain the wheat grains and take it into the pressure cooker,
- Add enough water to pass over two fingers and cook until soft for the time required for your pressure cooker,
- Wash and slice the mushrooms,
- Add the mushrooms to a hot pan and stir fry over high heat until softened,
- Add salt, pepper and parsley, stir and remove from heat,
- After you open the lid of the pressure cooker continue to cook, continuously stirring and mashing the wheat,
- Cook until the wheat is almost solid and you reach an almost gummy texture,
- Add salt and pepper, stir and remove from heat,
- Heat 5-6 tablespoons of oil in a saucepan, add ground chilli pepper, mix and remove from heat,
- Share the keskek on the serving plates,
- Pour over the chilli pepper and oil sauce, place the mushrooms and sprinkle with chopper parsley.