Şıh-ıl Mahşi Recipe
Today, we are together with Şıhıl mahşi, sheikh el mahşi, sheikh-ul mahşi or, in the most understandable way, the king of the stuffed zucchinis. It is one of the favorite flavors of Antakya, Kilis cuisine as well as Syrian cuisine. As with the stuffed recipes, a ground beef and chickpea filling is used instead of rice or bulgur. Zucchinis, unlike the classic stuffed zucchinis, are fried beforehand instead of being filled raw. Since it is not possible for a fried vegetable to be tasteless, it is not possible for the şıhıl mahşi to be tasteless.
Can we use zucchinis raw?
Technically it is possible, of course. Nobody puts a gun on our heads to fry the zucchinis, but as a result, this is the method used in this dish. If we want to cook something, it is necessary to do it duly. If we change the food, that food will not be that food, then there is no point in trying to make that food. It is my personal opinion. But if it is about health, things will of course change. In case of health problems, suitable alternatives can be used.
Should we roast ground beef or onions first?
This is the question that first that comes to mind on the recipes with ground beef. Actually which one is roasted first does not change anything. The important thing is that both of them are well roasted. If you roast the meat and onion until the water evaporates completely, if the onion softens and if the ground beef turns red, it doesn't matter which one is roasted first.
While using boiled chickpeas, let's remember our life and time saving trick about chickpeas. You can boil and freeze chickpeas to use later.
Enjoy the recipe ...
- 8 small green zucchinis,
- 250 g ground beef,
- 1 onion, chopped,
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste,
- 1 cup canned chickpeas,
- Black pepper,
- Vegetable oil.
- Cut the stems and ends of the zucchinis and scratch the outside with a knurled knife or fork and carve the inside,
- Heat oil in a deep pan, fry the zucchinis,
- For the filling in a separate pan, heat 4-5 tablespoons of oil and add the chopped onion and roast until tender,
- Add the ground beef and stir fry until it changes color,
- Add a tablespoon of tomato paste and cook until it smells good,
- Add salt, pepper and cumin according to your taste and stir well,
- Add the chickpeas, mix and remove from heat,
- Fill the fried zucchinis with the filling,
- Place the zucchinis in a suitable sized baking pan,
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil in a saucepan, add 1 tablespoon of tomato paste and sautee until it smells good,
- Add 2 cups of water, mix, remove from heat,
- Pour the sauce over the zucchinis,
- Bake 15 minutes in a preheated oven at 190 degrees,
- Serve with whipped yogurt.