Scarpaccia is a wonderful pastry from Italian cuisine. Again a flat pastry like pizza and focaccia. When I first saw Scarpaccia, I was like, "Isn't it our çalkama?". Ok, not exactly the same, but they are very similar. Since çalkama is a pastry made in the Aegean region, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they are related. But it also doesn't surprise me that the same things were considered in different geographies. So I don't know why I was so surprised when I first ate scarpaccia.
If we go back to our recipe... As I said above, scarpaccia has many common features with çalkama. Both are made with flour and cornmeal. Only in scarpaccia, the ingredients are mixed with dough, while in çalkama, they are laid in the form of dough, stuffing and than again dough, like börek.
By the way, since scarpaccia contains zucchini, it is also similar to baked zucchini hashbrown. The difference with it is the egg it contains. Scarpaccia is a vegan recipe. By the way, you can also make it gluten-free by using corn flour instead of flour.
There are also those who make scarpaccia by squeezing the juice of the zucchini as in the recipe for hash browns instead of frying the zucchini and onions. Those who know me know that I believe that the roasting process adds flavor to the taste. That's why I always prefer roasting if I have to choose between roasting and using raw for pre-preparation of a dish. For example, instead of using dolma stuffing raw, I use it by roasting and half-cooking it. So I did the same with scarpaccia. I have no regrets at all. The flavor of caramelized onions adds a wonderful aroma and flavor to the recipe.
Enjoy the recipe...
Scarpaccia Recipe with Video
- 500 g of green zucchini,
- 1 onion,
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour,
- 1/2 cup of cornmeal,
- 1 cup of water at room temperature,
- 5 tablespoons of olive oil,
- 1 handful of chopped dill,
- Salt to taste.
- Slice the zucchini into thin rounds,
- Chop the onion in half moon shape,
- Heat 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan and add the zucchini and onions,
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the water is released and evaporated,
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, water and salt in a bowl,
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and dill and whisk,
- Add the roasted zucchini and onion and mix,
- Spread the mixture in a 40*32 cm oven tray covered with a greaseproof paper,
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190 degrees until lightly browned.
Enjoy your meal...