Riddled Cookies In Syrup - Kalburabastı Recipe
One of our traditional sherbet desserts is kalburabastı which literally translates to "pressed on sieve". But unfortunately, we can't cook our dessert because we don't have a sieve in our homes anymore. You have several options such as grater, pasta strainer. By trying it, you can find the tool you work with the easiest and get the best results.
No eggs in the cookie dough, yes. Baking soda does not give bitterness, so do not be afraid to use baking soda. When it interacts with an acidic food, it becomes active and does not make your recipe bitter. Our acidic ingredient in this recipe is yogurt, as you can imagine.
Please be very careful that the butter is at room temperature. At room temperature, the butter has started to melt and is so soft that your finger will go into it as soon as you touch it with your finger. If your butter is not that soft, your dough will not come together.
After both the sherbet and the cookies are warm, we combine the two. After pouring the syrup and waiting for a while, you can turn the cookies upside down so that they absorb the syrup in a shorter time.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 150 g butter at room temperature,
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil,
- 2 tbsp of plain yogurt,
- 3-3.5 cups of flour,
- 1 tsp of baking soda,
- 1/2 cup of grated walnuts.
- 2 cups of water,
- 2 cups of sugar,
- 1 slice of lemon.
- In a large mixing bowl combine butter, vegetable oil, yoghurt and baking soda and mix well,
- Add flour step by step to form a dough that does not stick hands,
- Divide the dough into 23 equal portions,
- Flatten the pieces in your hand and put 1 tsp of grated walnuts in the middle and close,
- Press each piece of dough over a sieve or a shredder with your fıngers while rolling and shaping into oblongs (do not press through),
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet and bake in a 180 C degrees preheated oven until golden,
- Meanwhile, in a medium pan, add the sugar, water and lemon juice, bring to a boil and let simmer for 2 minutes or until the mixture is syrupy, then remove from heat,
- After removing the cookies from the oven set aside for 20 minutes,
- Pour the warm syrup over cookies and set aside until the cookies soak all the syrup.