Kemal Pasa Dessert Recipe
What makes Kemal Paşa dessert special is the cheese used. It's not any cheese. It should be freshly prepared fresh cheese. I used queso fresco de Burgos in Spain, may be it can give an idea about the cheese.
Unlike other syrup desserts, syrup of this dessert is not poured over. The cookies are boiled in the syrup as it has a hard consistency. I'll talk about two things you need to pay attention to to make this easier. First, don't bake the cookies too much. Take them from the oven just after they turn yellow-pinkish. My second advice is to poke them from the top and the bottom.
The most important thing to watch out for is that all the cookies absorbs the syrup equally. For this, you must mix the cookies while cooking in the syrup. But when mixing, you should be careful not to crush the cookies.
If you don't want to sherbet all of the cookies, you can put them in an airtight container or bag and keep them at room temperature for a month.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 1 egg,
- 125 g of soft fresh unsalted cheese,
- 2 tablespoons semolina,
- 1 wiping teaspoon baking soda,
- 1 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice,
- 1,5 cups of flour,
- Grated coconut to decorate.
- 2 cups of sugar,
- 4 cups of water,
- 1 thin slice of lemon.
- Combine egg, cheese, semolina and baking soda in a deep mixing bowl,
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the baking soda and let it foam completely,
- Beat them until thoroughly mixed with a hand mixer (cheese can remain grainy, that's normal),
- Add flour and beat until a dough with a thick but sticky consistency is obtained,
- Take the dough into a piping bag with a round tip and squeeze it in a tray with greaseproof paper,
- Smooth them with the spine of a teaspoon,
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 190 degrees until golden,
- Remove from the oven and wait until they cool down,
- After cooling, poke them with a needle or a toothpick,
- For syrup, take the water, sugar and lemon slice in a large pot and take it to the stove at high heat,
- Stir until the sugar melts and it starts to boil,
- Decrease the heat a little bit and simmer 1 min. more and remove the lemon slice,
- Add the cookies to the syrup and stir until lightly wetted,
- Cover the lid and decrease the heat a little more,
- Stirring occasionally cook the cookies until fully softened and the syrup almost thickens,
- Remove the desserts on a tray and decorate with grated coconut.