Nevzine is one of the most loved desserts of recent years in Turkey. It’s a dessert of Kayseri, a city which is famous for mantı in Turkey. Tahin and pekmez is one of the most loved couples of Turkish people by the way. They are consumed generally in breakfast. Pekmez is thickened grape juice by the way. It can also be made from pear, carob or different fruits.
A cookie dough is prepared and cooked in a baking dish and wetted with pekmez syrup. The dessert has a huge tahini taste and smell. If you love tahini, you will love this dessert.
When you first pour syrup over the dessert it becomes a little bit lumpy. But after being refrigerated, it gains a lovely consistency. So don’t be in a hurry to slice and serve the dessert.
In winter it does not give much taste but for summer you can increase the pleasure you receive by serving the dessert with ice cream.
Enjoy the recipe…
For the dessert;
- 100 g butter at room temperature,
- 1/2 cup of tahini,
- 1 egg,
- 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt,
- 1 cup of ground walnut,
- 2 tablespoons of sugar,
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder,
- 2 cups of flour.
- 1 cup of sugar,
- 1.5 cups of water,
- 1/2 cup of pekmez,
- Half a slice of lemon.
- For syrup take water, sugar and lemon into a sauce pan,
- Cook in high heat, stirring until the sugar melts,
- Decrease the heat and boil 15 min. more,
- Take the lemon from the syrup, let it cool,
- For the dough mix butter, tahini, egg, yogurt, walnut, sugar and baking powder in a deep bowl,
- Add the flour part by part and knead until you get a dough that doesn’t stick to your hands,
- Spread the dough into a 20 * 26 cm baking dish and flatten it,
- With the back of a fork make lines from both sides,,
- Bake in a 180 C degrees pre-heated oven until golden,
- Turn off the heat and wait 10 mins. before you remove the dessert from the oven,
- Remove from the oven and wait 10 mins.,
- Add the molasses to the cooled syrup and mix,
- Pour the syrup over the dessert,
- After it becomes at room temperature, put in the refrigerator and leave for 1 hour.