Yoghurt dessert is one of the traditional Turkish desserts that include a sugar syrup. It is very similar to “revani”, another traditional Turkish dessert. The only difference is that it does not contain any semolina. It is very simple to make but a complete delight to eat. You can flavor the batter with orange zest instead of lemon zest, if you like. However for the syrup, you have to add the lemon slice so that the sugar does not crystallize as it cools. I hope you give it a try.
- 3 eggs,
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar,
- 3/4 cup yoghurt,
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil,
- 25 gr. baking powder,
- 25 gr. vanilla powder,
- 2 cups flour,
- Zest of half a lemon,
- 3 cups sugar,
- 3 cups water,
- 1 slice lemon.
- Cream together the eggs and sugar until frothy,
- Whisk in the yoghurt and oil,
- Mix the flour, baking powder and vanilla powder together and add it slowly to the wet mixture while stirring,
- Pour the batter into a greased 24×24 cm baking dish,
- Bake in a 190 degrees Celsius preheated oven until the top is golden brown,
- Once the cake cools completely, combine the sugar, water and lemon slice in a saucepan,
- Cook on medium heat stirring occasionally until the sugar completely melts,
- Let it boil for 5 mins,
- Remove from heat and let it cool for 3-4 mins,
- Pour it over the cake
- Let it rest for 15-20 mins,
- Slice and serve.