Today I had lovely visitors, my friend Lorena and her two months old cute baby girl Lola. We had a Turkish breakfast together. I prepared a standard Turkish breakfast with cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers and olives and cooked mıhlama, a traditional Turkish breakfast dish. It’s one of my favorite dishes of Turkish cuisine and Lorena also loved it, which made me ver happy:)
After our breakfast, Lola had her breakfast too and went to sleep. In the meantime we cooked red lentil soup together. Last year Lorena and her husband Javi came for a lunch. I cooked red lentil soup for them and they loved it. That day I promised to cook it together one day. But than Lola happened:) And we couldn’t find a good time to do it. Last weekend Lorena mentioned that Madresfera, a blogger network that she also belongs with her blog terapiaenred.es, has a competition that she wants to attend. Irony of fate, the competition is about international food recipes. It’s sponsored by a broth brand, Aneto. In order to attend to the competition you should cook an international recipe with one of the products of Aneto.
That was the perfect chance for cooking red lentil soup together. Loreno brought an Aneto vegetable broth and we cooked red lentil soup together. It was just delicious and not necessary to mention, very nutritious.
When making it at home, you can also use meat or chicken broth instead of vegetable broth. They will all be delicious in their own way.
Enjoy the recipe…
- 1 cup red lentils,
- 1 onion, chopped,
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste,
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika,
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil,
- 3 cups of water,
- 1,5 cups of vegetable broth,
- Salt to taste.
- Heat oil in a pot,
- Sauté the finely chopped onions in oil until tender,
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 2-3 mins,
- Add into the paprika and stir well,
- Add 3 cups of water and rinsed lentils, stir,
- Cook in low heat, the covered, until the lentils are fully cooked,
- Blend the soup with a hand blender into a smooth consistency,
- Add vegetable broth and cook for 2-3 mins more,
- Add salt, stir and remove from heat,
- You can add oregano, pepper flakes or any spices you like while serving.