Turkish Lentil Soup Recipe
What should be considered to make Turkish lentil soup delicious?
First of all, as in every dish, onions should be well roasted. Sufficient oil is essential for roasting the onions well. When you collect the onions in the middle of the pan, you should use enough oil to remain on the edges of the pan. Otherwise, onions burn without cooking. The second thing to note is that it is cooked on low heat. If you use fire, your onions will burn without cooking. If you say why cooking onions is so important, if the onions are not cooked well, the onion smell will prevail in the soup. When you open the lid of the pot, it will not smell of lentils, but raw onion. Try to cut a piece of onion in half with the wooden spoon you used to mix to understand that the onions are cooked enough. If you have difficulty, your onions are not ready yet. If the onion is breaking down very easily without forcing you, your soup or dish is ready to add the tomato paste.
Another point to be considered for lentil soup to be delicious is that its tomato paste and spices are not so much as to dominate the taste of lentils. These auxiliary foods should be used only for flavoring, not for putting them into a war of domination with the main ingredient.
Finally, the lentil must be cooked very well so that it gives full flavor. Lentils should be cooked until they burst. When the grain remains, it means it has not been cooked yet. Let's look at how our soup is made in the light of this information;
- 1 cup red lentils,
- 1 onion,
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste,
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika,
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil,
- Salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes and thyme.
- Heat oil in a deep pan,
- Sauté the finely chopped onions in oil until tender,
- Stir in the tomato paste and paprika and cook for 2-3 mins,
- Add in the rinsed lentils and stir for 1 mins,
- Add 5 cups of water and boil until the lentils are fully cooked,
- Blend the soup into a smooth consistency,
- If it's too thick add some hot water,
- Add in the salt and spices of your choice, boil for 2 more mins and remove from heat.