Turkish Cold Bulgur Soup
Again, we have a recipe that can't be shared between two cities. I mean it's a popular soup / main course / salad made in both cities.
Original name of this recipe is "bat" but I preferred to call it as turkish cold bulgur soup instead of bat recipe because of the obvious reasons:)
Like the batırık recipe I shared before, it can roughly be compared to kısır recipe . With only one difference; boiled green lentils. Green lentils are turning the recipe from a salad into a main course and soup. Traditionally, it is served with boiled vine leaves and sourdough bread. But it's not necessary, of course.
In fact, this recipe is also similar to lentil köfte by means of preparation. First of all, green lentils are cooked and bulgur is added and the bulgur is expected to be cooked in the heat of the lentil. Afterwards, the recipe deviates from the lentil kofte making method and continues on its own way.
Walnut is one of the best ingredients for bat. If you have tried my recipe for potato bulghur kofte , you know how well walnuts go with bulgur. So I will not praise this harmony.
- 1 cup of green lentil,
- 1/2 cup fine bulgur, washed and drained,
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste,
- 1 tablespoon of pepper paste,
- 1 teaspoon of hot pepper flakes,
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil,
- 1/2 cup ground walnuts,
- 1 onion,
- 2 tomatoes,
- 1 green pepper,
- 2 sprigs of scallions,
- A handful of chopped parsley,
- A handful of chopped dill,
- 1/2 lemon juice,
- 5 cups of water,
- Boiled vine leaves and sourdough bread for serving.
- Wash the lentils, drain and place in a sauce pan,
- Add the water, cover the lid and cook until the lentils are soft,
- Remove from heat, add the bulgur, cover and wait until the bulgur absorb all the water,
- Meanwhile, wash and chop the vegetables and greens,
- Take the lentil and bulgur mixture in a deep bowl,
- Add the tomato paste, chili pepper, basil and salt and mix,
- If necessary, add cold water and mix,
- Add walnuts, vegetables and greens and mix,
- Finally add lemon juice and mix,
- Serve with boiled vine leaves and sourdough bread.