Microwave Kumpir (Jacket Potato) Recipe
We didn't have an oven when we first moved into our new house. During my time without the oven, I improved my microwave skills a lot. Kumpir is a heirloom from my no oven days. How good this baked potato was in that lack of oven cannot be explained.
As a matter of fact, it is so easy to make, even if you have an oven, I would say give this recipe a try.
How to Set the Cooking Time
The first thing I should say about the recipe is that the cooking time depends on the size of the potatoes. That's why you should definitely use medium-sized potatoes, close to small, to be able to cook in 10-12 minutes.
What Can I Put in Kumpir?
What you put in the kumpir is entirely up to you. After removing them, mixing them with butter, salt and cheese and putting them back is the basis of the recipe. It is entirely your imagination. You can take a look at my regular kumpir recipe for different ideas. Because that recipe is quite rich.
Do Potato Skins Get Hard?
The skins of the potatoes are not as hard as baked potato baked in the oven. You can also eat the shells if you wish. But do not forget to wash all kinds of potatoes very well.
- 4 small / medium sized potatoes,
- 1 tsp butter,
- 1 tablespoon shredded cheddar cheese,
- 1 heaping spoon of yogurt,
- 3 tablespoons canned peas and carrots,
- 1 clove of garlic,
- Pickles, jalapenos, roastes red peppers.
- Wash the potatoes well and divide them in half,
- Place the potatoes into a microwave safe plate cut sides facing upwards,
- Put it in the microwave and cook for 10 min.,
- Remove the plate and check the consistency, if you need cook for 1-2 minutes.,
- Remove the inside of the potatoes with the help of a knife, and put into another plate,
- Add butter, cheddar and salt, mix with a fork,
- Spread the mixture back into the potatoes,
- Mix yogurt in a separate bowl with salt and garlic,
- Share the mixture over the potatoes,
- Garnish with gherkin pickles, jalapeno, roasted peppers, etc.