Today, we are together with a different lentil soup recipe. In fact, I have so many recipes for lentil soup that a new one may not be needed on the blog. On the other hand, it would be unfair not to share this delicious Çeşm-i nigar soup. Çeşm-i nigar soup can be summarized as lentil soup with milk and lemon finishing. Actually, it is not customary to use milk and lemon together in soup. Lemon juice curdles milk under normal conditions. But when egg yolk enters to scenario with its binding feature, things change. The soup is not curdled. It is a delicious soup with a light sour taste and soft texture.
Çeşm-i nigar is a Persian word pattern. Çesm means eye and nigar means lover. Çeşm-i nigar means the eye of the lover. So the poet says that this soup is so beautiful that it is almost like the eyes of the lover. I really don’t know if there was a need for that kind of exaggeration, but the soup is really delicious, after all.
There are two important points to pay attention to in the soup. The first is to roast the onions well. If you do not roast the onion well, you can feel the raw onion taste even if you are using a blender, this spoils the taste of the soup. The second is to bring the finishing and soup together carefully. I said, finishing is not curdled, but there is no guarantee for anything in the kitchen. Anything can happen. Finishing, which is never curdled, can curdle, and if you do not mix well, eggs can also be cooked. So whisk the finishing thoroughly in itself, while adding the hot soup to the finishing, add the hot soup slowly and beat the finishing quickly, and finally, while adding the finishing back into the soup, add it slowly and beat fast.
Enjoy the recipe…
- 1 onion,
- 1 cup of red lentils,
- 2 tablespoons flour,
- 1/2 cup milk,
- 1 egg yolk,
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 lemon,
- 5 cups of water at room temperature,
- 4-5 tablespoons of olive oil,
- 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of ground chilli pepper.
- Chop the onion and stir fry in olive oil until it softens,
- Add flour and stir fry until smells good,
- Add washed and drained lentils and water, stir well,
- Blend the soup with an immersion blender to a smooth consistency,
- Whisk milk, egg yolk and lemon juice in a separate bowl for its finishing,
- Take a ladle from the soup, add it slowly to the finishing and whip it quickly,
- Add the finishing back to the pot and mix it quickly,
- While stirring constantly, bring to boil and remove from heat,
- Add salt and mix,
- For the sauce, heat the olive oil, add the chilli pepper and mix and remove ifrom heat,
- Share the soups into the bowls and pour over the sauce.