Baked zucchini boat is a well known dish. Today I want to share the eggplant version of zucchini boats. Both recipes are easy to make, delicious and eye-catching. Who doesn’t need such recipes?
You bake the eggplant boats, prepare the filling while they are browning, fill the boats and bake again for 5-10 mins and it’s done. Moreover, the ingredients used are always at hand.
Can I use beef or chicken?
There are some people in Turkey who can’t eat any food without meat. I know it sounds weird and unhealthy but this is real. Son if there are others up here reading this article, I’m sure they are also willing to know if it’s possible to add some beef or chicken to the recipe. Of course it’s possible. You can check my chicken zucchini boat recipe to see the method.
Enjoy the recipe…
- 3 eggplants,
- 1 onion, chopped,
- 1 red pepper, chopped,
- 1 green pepper, chopped,
- 1 tomato, chopped,
- 1 tbsp tomato paste,
- 3-4 fresh basil leaves,
- 1,5 cups grated mozzarella or cheddar cheese.
- Cut the stalks of the eggplants and cut them horizontally in two (don’t peel),
- Carve them with a spoon,
- Grease them profusely with a brush and place them on a tray covered with wax paper,
- Bake at the grill setting of the oven at 200 C degrees until they are browned,
- For the filling heat 4-5 tbsps oil in a large pan,
- Add onion and sauté until tender,
- Add tomato paste and cook until smells good,
- Add peppers and chopped eggplant carvings, sauté until tender,
- Add the tomato, cover the lid and cook in low heat until set,
- Add salt and chopped basil leaves, stir and remove from heat,
- Share the mixture in eggplant boats, cover with grated cheese and bake again until the cheese melts.