There are thousands of eggplant recipes in Turkish cuisine and most of them, especially the ones cooked with tomato sauce, are fried. There are some exceptions also but when I cook or eat eggplant I generally prefer to fry it as I find it more delicious. I accept that it’s not healthy, but I have a plea. I don’t eat that much fried food and when I eat certain foods I want them to be fried.
It’s the same with syrup desserts. They are unhealthy and have high calories but I don’t feel guilty as I don’t eat too much syrup desserts.
But as there are other people who eats some basic meals more often than me I had to prepare a more healthy tomato sauce eggplant dish and this is it. I tried to make the dish as it’s fried. I baked it in high heat and used plenty of oil for this. The result was so successful that even I loved it. If you like eggplants you should give it a try.
Enjoy the recipe…
- 1 kg eggplant, peeled and chopped,
- 1 onion, chopped,
- 2 green peppers, chopped,
- 2 tomatoes, chopped,
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste,
- 1 teaspoon of sweet chilli,
- 8 tablespoons of vegetable oil,
- Salt to taste.
- Combine eggplant, onion, peppers, 6 tbsps vegetable oil and salt in a deep pan, mix well,
- Place the vegetables into a baking tray covered with wax paper,
- Bake in a 220 C degrees pre-heated oven until tender,
- Remove from the oven and pour into a 30 cm baking tray without wax paper,
- Place the tomatoes over the other vegetables and bake fro 30 mins. again,
- In a pan heat 2 tbsps vegetable oil and add tomato paste, sautee until smells good,
- Add the chilli and stir,
- Add 2 cups of water, mix well and remove from heat,
- Pour the sauce over the vegetables and bake for 10 mins. more.