Baked Eggplant Casserole Recipe
There are thousands of eggplant recipes in Turkish cuisine and most of them, especially the ones cooked with tomato sauce, are fried. There are some exceptions also but when I cook or eat eggplant I generally prefer to fry it as I find it more delicious. I accept that it's not healthy, but I have a plea. I don't eat that much fried food and when I eat certain foods I want them to be fried.
It's the same with syrup desserts. They are unhealthy and have high calories but I don't feel guilty as I don't eat too much syrup desserts.
But as there are other people who eats some basic meals more often than me I had to prepare a more healthy tomato sauce eggplant dish and this is it. I tried to make the dish as it's fried. I baked it in high heat and used plenty of oil for this. The result was so successful that even I loved it. If you like eggplants you should give it a try.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 1 kg eggplant, peeled and chopped,
- 1 onion, chopped,
- 2 green peppers, chopped,
- 2 tomatoes, chopped,
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste,
- 1 teaspoon of sweet chilli,
- 8 tablespoons of vegetable oil,
- Salt to taste.
- Combine eggplant, onion, peppers, 6 tbsps vegetable oil and salt in a deep pan, mix well,
- Place the vegetables into a baking tray covered with wax paper,
- Bake in a 220 C degrees pre-heated oven until tender,
- Remove from the oven and pour into a 30 cm baking tray without wax paper,
- Place the tomatoes over the other vegetables and bake fro 30 mins. again,
- In a pan heat 2 tbsps vegetable oil and add tomato paste, sautee until smells good,
- Add the chilli and stir,
- Add 2 cups of water, mix well and remove from heat,
- Pour the sauce over the vegetables and bake for 10 mins. more.