Yayla Soup (Turkish Yogurt Soup) Recipe
Yayla soup is one of the most common soups that is made at homes in Turkey. It is a good source of protein because of the yogurt it contains. You can consume yayla soup with peace of mind, provided that you do not exaggerate the amount of rice and increase its calorie.
How to avoid curdling
Let's learn how to make it step by step from the beginning. But first, I want to tell you a few details. The most important thing you should pay attention to in order not to fail is that the seasoning you prepared with eggs, yogurt, lemon juice and flour should not be added to the soup without warming it up. If you hurry and add the seasoning to the boiling soup immediately, your soup will curdle and white small pieces will form in the soup.
The second thing you should pay attention to is not to boil the soup too much after adding the seasoning. Stirring constantly, it will be enough to boil for a few minutes. Otherwise, there is a possibility that the soup will curdle again. Don't forget to stir the rice frequently during the cooking phase, otherwise it may boil.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 50 g rice,
- 4 heaped tablespoons of yogurt,
- 1 egg yolk,
- Juice of 1/2 lemon,
- 2 tablespoons of flour,
- 1 tablespoon of butter or 2-3 tablespoons of oil,
- 2 teaspoons of mint,
- 5-6 glasses of water.
- Wash and drain the rice and cook it in 5-6 glasses of water until it softens and swells,
- In a separate bowl, whisk yogurt, egg yolk, lemon juice and flour well,
- Beat the rice by adding it little by little to the yogurt mixture from the water you cooked,
- Slowly add the warmed yogurt mixture to the rice and mix,
- Boil it for 2-3 minutes on low heat by stirring constantly, add the salt and turn off the heat,
- Heat the butter or oil in a sauce pan,
- Add the mint, mix and cook for 20-30 seconds. roast it and remove it from the stove,
- Add the mixture to the soup and mix.