Chicken Soup With Green Lentils
One of the recipes I have been waiting for Ramadan to share is chicken soup with green lentils, because it is both fresh and fulling. Ingredients are quite abundant. Main ingredients are green lentils, chicken, erişte and yoghurt. In other words, besides being satisfying, it is also very nutritious.
Its preparation is almost the same as the yayla soup. If you have made yayla soup before, you can be sure that you will not have any trouble making green lentil soup with chicken. What distinguishes this soup from the yayla soup and takes some time is boiling chicken and lentils. If you have cooked chicken and lentils in the freezer, its practicality will come to the level of yayla soup.
If you don't have erişte, you can use orzo instead. You don't need to change the amount, you can use the same amount as erişte.
Instead of chicken breast, you can use thigh or any other part of the chicken. In the meantime, it is useful to explain 1/2 chicken breast. The breast of chickens consists of two parts, like other creatures, including humans. The sum of these two parts, which we call chicken breast, is a whole chicken breast in kitchen jargon. One part of them is 1/2, that is, half a chicken breast.
As with all seasoned soups, it is necessary to be cautious in order not to curdle the seasoning while adding it to the hot soup. Before adding the dressing to the soup, add some hot soup water to the dressing and make the dressing get used to the heat. After the dressing is warmed up with hot soup water, add it to the soup slowly and mix quickly, and keep mixing to prevent it from being curdled. Because of the same reason, salt must be added after the soup is removed from the heat.
- 1 cup of green lentils,
- 1/2 chicken breast,
- 1 cup erişte or orzo,
- 4 heaped tablespoons of plain yogurt,
- 1 egg yolk,
- 1/2 lemon juice,
- 5-6 tablespoons of olive oil,
- 1 tablespoon of flour,
- 1 teaspoon of dried mint,
- 8 cups of boiling water,
- Boil and drain the lentils,
- Boil the chicken in a separate pot and shred,
- Take 8 cups of boiling water (you can use some chicken broth if you wish) into a pot and add the erişte and cook until soft over medium heat,
- Add boiled lentils and chopped chicken and mix,
- In a separate bowl, whisk the yoghurt, egg yolk, lemon juice and flour until a smooth consistency,
- Take 1-2 scoops of the water of the soup, add it to the yoghurt mixture and mix quickly,
- Add this mixture to the soup immediately, mix quickly and cook it by stirring it until the consistency thickens, then remove from the heat,
- Add salt and mix,
- Take the olive oil in a saucepan and heat it,
- Add the mint, mix and remove from heat,
- Add the mint sauce to the soup and mix.