Russian Olivye Salad Recipe
Russian salad, which is also known as American salad in Turkey is originally named Olivye salad in Russia. The Russian salad was invented by a Belgian chef named Lucien Olivier, who opened a restaurant called Heritage in Russia in the second half of the 1800s. The recipe for the olivye salad, which became the favorite dish of his restaurant, was kept secret until Lucien Olivier was dead. According to the legend, Olivier had a secret room that he only prepared this salad and did not take anyone inside. One day, he forgot the door of the room open and left the restaurant, and one of his assistants, Ivan Ivanov, saw all the materials on the table when he entered the room, but of course he did not know which material was used in what quantity. According to legend, Ivanov, who left Olivier's restaurent, opened a new restaurant and started serving a new salad with his own recipe, and as we know today, Russian salad was actually a copy of Ivanov's recipe, not Olivier's.
The arrival of Russian salad to Turkey was thanks to 1917 October Revolution when Russian restaurants started to open in Istanbul. During the cold war, the name was changed to American salad because of ideological reasons. Even in my early teenage years, it was still called American salad, but this anecdote, which its was actually Russian salad, was often spoken. I think it is now more commonly known as Russian salad.
Many different ingredients such as boiled meat, diced salami, shrimp, caviar can be used in the Russian salad. I wanted to share a basic version of it. You can make additions according to your taste.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 1 potato,
- 2 carrots,
- 1 cup canned peas,
- 3 pickled gherkins,
- 1 egg,
- 1/2 cup strained yogurt,
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise,
- Black pepper.
- Peel and dice the potatoes and carrots,
- Take them into a sauce pan, add enough water to pass over them and simmer until tender,
- Boil the egg in a separate pan,
- Strain the cooked potatoes and carrots and wait until they cool down,
- Peel the egg and chop it into cubes,
- Dice gherkin pickles,,
- Put potatoes, carrots, peas, pickled gherkins, egg, yogurt, mayonnaise, salt and pepper in a deep bowl and mix well,
- Set aside the mixture in the refrigerator, let it rest for 1 hour and serve cold.