Psıhalive is one of the most important dishes of Circassian cuisine. Although it is not tempting to think about the idea of putting carbs (potato) in carbs (dough); it has a taste that will blow your mind when it is eaten by focusing on the taste without much thinking about the carbs.
As it is served with yogurt, you don’t feel that you consume too much carbohydrates. On the contrary it feels like you eat a really light food. Thats why hingel is very summer food for me.
How is the consistency of Psıhalive Dough?
Psıhalive dough is no different than ravioli dough. A rather hard dough compared to bread or pastry dough. Therefore, kneading requires a little arm strength. But it gets easier as you knead and find the right consistency. Especially after resting, the dough releases itself and it is quite easy to roll it. If you have not rolled ravioli before, do not worry about the hardness of the dough in the first place.
Enjoy the recipe…
For the dough;
- 1 egg,
- 1 cup of warm water,
- 3,5-4 cups of flour,
- 1 teaspoon of salt.
For the filling;
- 5 medium potatoes (600-700 g),
- 1 onion, chopped,
- 4-5 tablespoons of vegetable oil,
- 1 teaspoon of paprika,
- Salt and pepper to taste.
For topping and serving;
- 2 spoonfuls of butter,
- 2 teaspoons of paprika,
- Plain yogurt.
- Boil, peel and crush the potatoes for the filling,
- Heat oil and stir fry the onion until softens,
- Add the paprika and mix,
- Add the crushed potatoes, salt and pepper and mix and remove from heat,
- Prepare the dough while the filling is cooling,
- For this, mix the water, egg and salt in a deep bowl,
- Add flour step by step and start kneading,
- Add enough flour and knead until you reach a hard dough that doesn’t stick to your hand,
- Cover and rest for 15 mins.,
- Take the approximately one third of the dough on the floured counter and roll into a thin sheet with a rolling pin,
- Cut the sheet with a 10 cm diameter cookie mold,
- Take one of the pieces, put a teaspoon of potato filling in the middle and combine the edges in the middle,
- Seal edges by pleating each side respectively as you go,
- Fill and fold the other pieces you rolled in the same way,
- Roll, cut, fill and fold the remaining dough in the same way,
- Boil 1,5 lt water in a pan,
- Add the psıhalives into boiling water and cook until they start to float on the water,
- Heat butter in a sauce pan,
- Add paprika, mix and remove from heat,
- Sprinkle the sauce over the psıhalives and serve with yogurt.