Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Pumpkin pie is one of the most popular recipes in US cuisine. When US cuisine is mentioned, a sardonic smile appears on the lips of many non-US people. However, many of the most popular foods in the world today are foods invented in US. Although US cuisine is a richer cuisine than it is thought, it is actually more than a kitchen. It is the founder of popular food culture.
Potato chips and hamburgers alone are enough to justify this view, but there are many other things in addition to these. The most popular item of sushi restaurants is california roll, fortune cookies, caesar salad, eggs benedict, fajita, which is on the menu of almost every modern restaurant in Turkey today, and many other Tex-Mex and American Chinese foods (Chinese food invented in US). These are the dishes that emerged from US cuisine and changed the direction of world food culture.
In addition to these, we should not forget the pastries such as chocolate chip cookies, biscuit or American style apple pie. I am asking by keeping the Italian cuisine and Arabic cuisines separate in order to prevent unfair competition due to the interaction due to our geographical proximity; Is there any other kitchen where we know/consume so much food other than our own? You can also see this as US's pr success. There is no doubt that it has a great share in spreading the food all around the world, but this does not change the fact that these dishes are very, very tasty. That's why I attribute the success of these dishes to US's opening its doors to immigrants before its pr success.
I realize it looks like I'm on my day of praising US cuisine. But actually my purpose is not to praise, as I said at the beginning, I wanted to remind some things to those who despise US cuisine.
Today, I wanted to share a dessert that we know very well from the thanksgiving episodes of US TV series; pumpkin pie. It is a transitional dessert from autumn to winter with its crispy dough and spicy filling. The dough is made similar to the classic tart-pie dough. It has a different crunch than French pies, as a little more water is added than French tart dough. But it makes shaping easier. The preparation of the interior filling is quite easy. The ingredients are added sequentially and whisked together.
You can make pumpkin-themed shapes to decorate your pie. But this is not a requirement, it is a matter of arbitrariness. It's still cute. Adding little pumpkins or leaves to the plates while serving makes people happy who eat the pie.
Enjoy the recipe...
Pumpkin Pie Recipe with Video
- 200 g cold butter,
- 3 cups of flour,
- 1/4 cup of powdered sugar,
- 1/2 cup of ice cold water.
For internal mortar;
- 500 g pumpkin, sliced,
- 2 eggs,
- 1 cup of sugar,
- 200 ml of heavy cream,
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch,
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon,
- 1/2 teaspoon of powdered ginger,
- 1/4 teaspoon of crushed cloves,
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper,
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg.
- Take the pumpkin in a sauce pan, add enough water to cover it, close the lid and cook until soft,
- Strain the water and let it cool,
- For the dough, chop the butter into cubes,
- Add powdered sugar and mix,
- Add the flour and mix it by rubbing with both hands until it becomes like sand,
- Add water little by little and knead,
- Cover it and rest it in the refrigerator for 10 minutes,
- Take the cooled pumpkin in a mixing bowl and mash it with a fork,
- Add eggs and sugar and beat,
- Add the heavy cream, cornstarch and spices and whisk,
- Take an orange-sized piece from the dough and set aside for decorations,
- Put the remaining dough between two greaseproof papers and roll it out with a rolling pin wide enough to cover a 26 cm baking pan and that can be curled from the edges as well,
- Cut one of the greaseproof paper in a 26 cm size round shape, leaving rectangular handles on all four sides (if you don't understand, you can watch the video after it is published) and spread it at the bottom of the mold,
- Place the rolled dough in the mold and fold the edges outwards so that they remain in the dish,
- Pour the filling,
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees until the edges are lightly browned,
- In the meantime, make round pumpkins from the dough you have set aside, and pumpkin stalks in the form of thin long wicks and roll the remaining dough and cut it into leaves,
- Place the decorations you have prepared on the tray on which you have laid the other greaseproof paper,
- If you wish, brush them with egg yolk (not necessary),
- After removing the pie from the oven, put the ornaments in the oven and bake until golden brown,
- After the pie is completely cooled, grab the wax paper handles and place it on the serving plate and place the decorations on it.