Cheese Gozleme (Turkish Pancakes) Recipe
Cheese gozleme is such a food that it fills any gaps related to hunger. Breakfast in the morning, lunch in the afternoon, dinner in the evening, travel when going on the road, the most guaranteed meal choice when taking a break on the road, an afternoon snack on vacation, in short, gozleme can be eaten whenever and wherever one gets hungry.
There can be gozleme made of ready-made yufka, or it can be made hand-rolled. It can be eaten with tea or with ayran. In fact, there is no limit for making gozleme that even someone who does not have a stove or pan. Thanks for the recipe gozleme in the toaster.
My favorite types of gozleme are cheese and potato ones. I also love herbed gozleme, but it will also have cheese. While I love gozleme with cheese so much, my hand made pancake recipe wouldn't be complete without cheese.
The dough for the hand-rolled gozleme is quite simple. It consists of basic dough ingredients, flour, water and salt. A little sugar softens the taste of the food it is in and takes its astringency. That's why I add sugar as well as salt. After the dough is kneaded, it is rested a little for the gluten structure to develop and for this occasion to be opened easily. I wrote down the average rest periods, but this period may be longer in winter and shorter in summer. For this reason, it will be better to determine the resting period according to your own conditions. After the dough is divided into meringues, it is rolled out in the form of thin rounds with the help of a rolling pin, put together with cheese mortar, folded and closed tightly by pressing the edges.
The cooking process of the pancake is more important than its preparation. The pan must be preheated. But you should use neither too high nor too low temperature for cooking. High temperature causes it to burn in a short time, low temperature causes it to not cook. You should adjust the temperature you will use according to your stove and increase or decrease it during the cooking time if necessary.
After cooking the pancakes, lubricating them with hot butter both increases their flavor and takes away their hardness.
- 3 cups all purpose flour,
- 1 teaspoons sugar,
- 1 teaspoons salt,
- 1,5 cup warm water,
- 400g feta cheese,
- 1 handful minced parsley,
- 1 tablespoon butter.
- Mix water, salt and sugar in a deep bowl,
- Slowly add the flour and start mixing,
- Add flour and knead until you get a dough that does not stick to the hand,
- After making a ball of dough, cover it and let it rest for 15 minutes,
- Meanwhile, mash the cheese and chopped parsley in a separate bowl and mix,
- Break off pieces of dough that are slightly larger than walnuts and open them on the floured counter as wide as a serving plate
- Put the cheese mortar on half of the dough you have opened,
- Cover the other half on it and press it together with your hand,
- Cook in a large frying pan,
- Spread butter on the pancakes you take from the pan,
- Prepare and bake the remaining dough in the same way.