Maras Dondurmasi (Stretchy Ice Cream) Recipe
Since it is the last month of summer, the first week of August and the last week before the Bayram holiday, I declared this week a week of cold summer delicacies. I will share the cold summer recipes that you can consume during the summer. Our first recipe is Maraş ice cream. My favorite ice cream.
Maraş Dondurması is the famous stretchy ice cream of Turkey. It's prepared basically with goat's milk, sugar and salep, the ground powder of the tubers of a special kind of orchid. You can add a small amount of mastic also. Its best feature is that it can be served as soon as you remove it from the freezer no matter how long it waits in the freezer.
I tried it both with cow's milk and goat's milk separately. It is also good with cow's milk, but goat's milk gives the taste of real Maras dondurması taste. I can not drink sheep or goat's milk or I can not eat sheep or goat cheese. But Maras dondurması is different.
I tried it without mastic and with a higher quantity of mastic. Without mastic, it was too goat's milk for me. When I increased the amount of mastic, it became a direct mastic ice cream. But that's not what we want. A small amount of mastic ice cream without covering the taste of the goat's milk but balancing it gave the best result for me.
You can find two types of salep. One is the pure one and the other is salep mixture for preparing salep drink. You should use pure salep for this recipe.
I used the blender, not the mixer, to mix the ice cream. Since I put it in a large but shallow container for freezing quickly, the mixer was not suitable for the depth of the container. In addition, the blender's power worked especially well when it began to freeze.
One last thing to remind... As with any dessert recipe, do not forget to adjust the amount of sugar according to your taste.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 500 ml goat's milk,
- 1/2 cup sugar,
- 1 wiping tablespoon of pure salep,
- 1 tiny piece of mastic.
- Crush mastic into powder,
- Beat the milk, sugar, salep and mastic powder in a small saucepan,
- Cook over medium heat until it starts to boil, stirring constantly,
- After boiling, continue stirring and cook for another minute and remove from heat,
- Using a hand blender blend constantly until it becomes at room temperature (you can put it in a bowl full of ice to speed up),
- Pour the mixture into a 20 * 26 cm baking dish suitable for freezer and place into the freezer,
- Remove and blend through with the blender every half hour until it is completely thickened,
- After thickened, take (you can eat immediately if you wish) into a container with a lid suitable for the freezer and put it in the freezer.