Harira Soup Recipe
In Moroccan cuisine one of the first dishes that comes to mind after tajine is harira soup. It is also the second recipe that made me want to eat again after baghrir after our trip to Morocco. There are so many spices and ingredients in harira soup that it also helps to enhance the immune system.
Even its logic resembles to Turkish food recipes, in a way it's way different than Turkish food recipes. This way is the use of spices. The spices used in harira don't have a large place in Turkish cuisine. Ginger for example is just used for cold preventing formulas such as mixture of honey, lemon and ginger. Other than that some people really like ginger cookies, but it doesn't belong to Turkish cuisine. Turmeric is also an outsider. In the last years people are trying to consume it as it's said to be a super food. But we don't use turmeric in Turkish food recipes.
With this excessive use of spices, harira is a little bit too much for some some people. So, I need to remind that not every food is for everyone. Please skip harira if you are not ok with using too much spices in your food.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 1/2 chicken breast, chopped in cubes,
- 1 onion, chopped,
- 1 branch of celery stalk, chopped,
- 1 red hot chilli pepper, chopped,
- 1 cup green lentils,
- 2 cups boiled chickpeas,
- 1/2 cup short cut vermicelli,
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste,
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin,
- 1/2 teaspoon of powdered ginger,
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric,
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon,
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper,
- 1 handful of chopped parsley.
- 4-5 tablespoons of olive oil,
- 5 cups of water,
- Salt to taste.
- Heat the olive oil and add the chicken and sauté until tender,
- Add the chopped onion and sauté until tender,
- Add the tomato paste and sauté until it smells good,
- Add the chopped celery and chilli pepper and sauté for a few minutes,
- Add lentils and water and stir,
- Cover and simmer over low heat until lentils soften,
- Add the vermicelli and simmer until soft,
- Add the chickpeas and cook for a few more minutes,
- Add the spices, chopped parsley and salt and mix and remove from the heat.