Aloo Gobi - Indian Style Cauliflower With Potatoes
I'm trying to give every kind of food from every category on my blog as much as I can. This includes cuisines of different countries, local recipes, recipes that do not contain some allergens, suitable for different dietary types or feeding methods. I'm aiming for everyone to find something suitable for themselves.
When I share something from a different cuisine I keep in mind that the recipe should be suitable for Turkish taste and the ingredients should be available in most of the houses. One of the main reasons why I haven't shared any recipes from Indian cuisine so far is the fact that ingredients cannot be found in every home. Spices are also used in Turkish cuisine, but there are mainly 5-6 different spices used usually. Indian spices are another level. So I especially chose this recipe which doesn't contain complicated spices.
This is a recipe that I think every Turk who loves hot spices will love. You can think of as a hot cauliflower dish with potatoes, but when it comes to ginger, turmeric and coriander, it also turns out to has an extra nice aroma.
You can serve aloo gobi together with pilav and plain yogurt.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 1 small head of cauliflower,
- 2 potatoes,
- 1 onion,
- 2 tomatoes,
- 2 red hot pepper (mexican pepper),
- 1 clove of garlic,
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (or powdered ginger),
- 2 teaspoons of turmeric,
- 1 teaspoon of cumin,
- 1 teaspoon black pepper,
- A pinch of fresh coriander (or half teaspoon powder coriander),
- 4-5 tablespoons olive oil,
- If you need half a glass of water (or broth).
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil and add the onion that you have chopped and then sauté until soft,
- Add a little chopped pepper and garlic and cook for a few more minutes,
- Add ginger, turmeric, cumin, black pepper, finely chopped coriander and salt and mix,
- Add the tomatoes and cook for a few minutes,
- Add the cauliflower that you cut into small branches and the potatoes you cut into cubes and mix,
- Close the lid and cook on very low heat until the vegetables are soft (check together and add water if needed).