Sweet breakfasts do not have much place in Turkish cuisine. For breakfast, dessert is usually eaten over the main breakfast. For example, if there is a cake at home, we can not make a cup of coffee and have breakfast with a slice of cake, except for very rare times. Even if we do, we do not get full. First, we have our breakfast with tea, cheese, olives, tomato, etc. and eat the cake after it. Personally, dessert is not something I prefer for breakfast, except for the vacations where I cannot find a savory breakfast, since it makes me feel more hungry than before.
Therefore, my preference for breakfast is yumurtalı ekmek instead of French toast. I can start my breakfast accompanied by cheese and tomatoes and spread honey or molasses in the last slice of yumurtalı ekmek and make a sweet closing. Meanwhile, I apply the same tactic for Pancakes. I prepare it without using any sugar or salt and eat it with both cheese and honey or chocolate spread.
For this reason, I am preparing a lightly salty starter before I make French toast. So is this worth the effort? It is definitely worth it.
Difference between Yumurtalı Ekmek and French Toast
Although it is generally thought that Turkish yumurtalı ekmek and French toast are the same thing, they are not. French toast is flavored with sugar, cinnamon and vanilla, and is sensibly sweet and aromatic. While yumurtalı ekmek can be made with any bread (preferably stale bread), sandwich bread is preferred for French toast.
Immediately after making French toast, you can consume it with honey and fruits you love. Although they prefer coffee along with it, it also goes very well with tea.
Enjoy the recipe…
- 6 slices of sandwich bread,
- 2 eggs,
- 1/2 cup milk,
- 1 teaspoon of sugar,
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon,
- 1/8 tsp ground vanilla,
- 1.5 tablespoons butter,
- Honey and fruit for serving.
- Take the eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla in a large bottomed bowl and whisk,
- Heat half a spoon of butter in a large frying pan,
- Dip two slices of bread into the egg mixture and place them into the pan, cook until golden brown, turn upside down and cook the other side,
- Take half a tablespoon of butter in the pan, melt and heat it,
- Put two more slices of bread in the sauce and fry them in the pan,
- Heat the remaining butter and add the last slices to the sauce and fry,
- Put the slices of bread on the serving plate, top with honey and any fruits you like.