Kısır is a traditional salad of Turkish cuisine. Actually if one they Turkish people have to choose just one dish to represent Turkey it would probably be kısır. It’s cooked in almost every occasion. It is made with bulgur, not with cauliflower of course. But in order to make it healthier cauliflower is used in this recipe.
Does it taste same as bulgur?
Of course not. When choosing to make this kind of healthy changes in recipes you should not have great expectations. It seems just like bulgur but when you taste it you clearly understand that it’s not bulgur. This doesn’t mean that it’s tasteless, on the contrary it’s really yummy, but in it’s own category.
When it comes to a salad, all the ingredients in it can vary according to taste. Dill or fresh mint may be used instead of parsley. Since it’s winter, you may not want to use tomatoes and cucumbers, so you can remove them from the recipe without adding anything.
Enjoy the recipe …
- 1 small (500-600 g) cauliflower,
- 1 onion, chopped,
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste,
- One small bunch of parsley, chopped finely,
- 1 cucumber, chopped,
- 2 tomatoes, chopped,
- 1 teaspoon ground chilli pepper,
- 1 teaspoon thyme,
- 1 teaspoon sumac,
- 1 teaspoon chili,
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice,
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Pull off the florets of cauliflower,
- Pulse in a food processor until finely ground,
- Heat oil in a large pan, add the onion and sauté until soft,
- Add the tomato paste and sauté until smells good,
- Add the ground chilli and stir,
- Add the ground cauliflower, stir and cook until tender,
- Add the salt, stir and remove from the heat,
- Transfer to a separate container and allow to cool,
- Add thyme, sumac and pepper flakes and mix,
- Add the parsley, cucumber, tomato and lemon juice and mix.