The first alternative for those who do not want to deal with icli kofte but want to eat icli kofte is baked filled kofte and the second one is bulgurlu walnut kofte. Although the bulgurlu walnut kofte is far from the stuffed meatball in shape and consistency, it is not possible to say the same thing for flavor. I don’t think it’s possible for someone who doesn’t know what it is and doesn’t say it looks like a icli kofte.
The fact that the similarity between the dishes is a very subjective matter. For example, I cannot give a meaning for tourists to call gozleme as Turkish pancakes. Pancakes and gozleme… One is made with batter and the other one is with yufka. One is in one piece, the other one is layered. One is just plain, the other one has filling.Two different planets in the opposite sides of the galaxy.
Besides, if I’ve learned to say pancake, they need to learn to say gozleme. I don’t know why I made myself angry at the moment, but I can not pass without saying, lahmacun is just ahmacun, It’s not Turkish pizza or something 🙂
Turning back to our recipe … It’s just the kofte as we know it. There is bulgur instead of bread crumbs and walnut as an extra. But only these two ingredients carry the taste to another level.
Can I Cook Meatballs in the Oven?
When deciding whether or not to cook the koftes in the oven, look at the ground beef in your hand, not to the recipe. If the ground beef is fatty, you can bake it in the oven. If it is medium or low fat, it is better to cook it in oil in the pan. If you bake the meatballs prepared with low-fat ground beef, they will be dry.
Enjoy the recipe..
- 500 g medium fat ground beef,
- 1 onion,
- 1 egg,
- 1/2 cup fine bulgur,
- 1/2 cup finely ground walnut,
- 1 handful of finely chopped parsley,
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper,
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin,
- Oil to deep fry koftes.
- Grate the onion with the thin side of the grater,
- Add shredded onion, egg, bulgur, walnut, parsley, salt and spices into the ground beef and knead until a homogeneous mixture is obtained,
- Take walnut sized pieces from the mixture and squeeze them in the palm of your hand to form a long, thin shape,
- Heat oil in a narrow and deep saucepan,
- Place the meatballs in the boiling oil slowly and cook them until they are all well browned.