Kofte With Pide Recipe
Köfte with pide, originally pideli köfte in Turkish is a recipe of Bursa city of Turkey. It's a recipe with meatballs that brings the plain kofte to a whole new dimension with a few small touches. Restaurant style pita is not an ingredient that can be found in every house at any time. But there is nice alternatives; pita or home made bazlama.
In those types of recipes you can wet the pitas with butter or tomato sauce. I prefer butter. If you are a tomato sauce person, you can add more water to the sauce and pour more sauce over the koftes and chopped pita.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 500 g medium fat ground beef,
- 1 onion,
- 1 egg,
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs,
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper,
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin,
- 1 handful of chopped parsley,
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste,
- 1 tea cup of water,
- 1 teaspoon of sugar,
- 3 tablespoons oil,
- 2 pita breads,
- 2 heaping tablespoons of butter,
- Plain yogurt for serving.
- Grate the onion finely,
- Take ground beef, grated onion, egg, breadcrumbs, pepper, cumin, parsley and salt into a deep bowl and knead until a homogeneous mixture is obtained,
- Roll walnut-sized pieces from the mortar and press with your hands to flatten,
- In a large pan, heat enough oil to cover the bottom of a large pan and fry the meatballs in both sides,
- While the meatballs are frying, chop the pita bread and heat in the oven,
- For sauce heat the oil and add the tomato paste and sauté until it smells good,
- Add water, salt and sugar and mix, bring to a boil and remove from heat,
- Heat the butter in a different saucepan,
- Divide the pita bread on the serving plates,
- Pour melted butter on top,
- Place the meatballs,
- Spread the sauce over the meatballs,
- Serve with yogurt.