Jan Hagel Cookies Recipe
Jan hagel is a popular Dutch christmas cookie. The original recipe calls for pearl sugar, but I don't know if it's possible to find it here and I'm not sure if you need to sprinkle extra sugar on top. I have no intention of giving up these delicious cookies because I can't find pearl sugar. They are the favorite cookies of my husband lately, so I often bake them. I don't have any complaints because I don't spend time to shape them one by one. Because in this way, they are prepared in maybe 40% of the time a normal cookie takes.
The method of preparation can bring to mind Italian biscotties. Yes, they are similar in terms of being baked first and then sliced. But there's a difference. Biscotti is sliced and then baked again. Jan hagel doesn't need this because it is rolled thinly, not as a large mass like biscotti. Therefore, the inside is cooked beautifully.
Can I make changes in the recipe?
The original is flavored with cinnamon and enriched with almonds. Instead of cinnamon, you can use different flavors, instead of almonds you can use different nuts such as hazelnuts or walnuts. But I have to give my classic advice. Do not directly make changes in the recipe that you will try for the first time. First try the original versin and learn how it tastes. Decide what you want to change later. Tasting will both give you better ideas and make you more confident when making changes.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 1 egg (white and yolk separated),
- 125 g of butter at room temperature,
- 3/4 cups powdered sugar,
- 2 cups of flour,
- 1 teaspoon baking powder,
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon,
- 1 cup almond flakes.
- Combine egg yolk, butter, powdered sugar, cinnamon and baking powder in a deep bowl and beat well,
- Add the flour gradually, checking the consistency of the dough, adding as much as necessary for the dough and knead until you reach a dough that does not stick to the hand,
- Put the dough between the two wax paper and roll with the roller,
- Remove the wax paper on top,
- Brush with egg white,
- Sprinkle with almond flakes,
- Roll with the roller, trying not to press too much,
- Take the cookie dough together with the wax paper into a baking tray,
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees and bake until lightly browned,
- Slice it out rectangularly with a sharp knife when still hot.