Yule Log Cake Recipe
Sculpture, painting, music, etc ... there is no one in my family who has the slightest talent in any major branch that I can think of. Naturally, I am also included in this. My painting talent consists of flowers, hearts, butterflies and stickman, and my musical talent consists of about 10-15 notes of a reee deep blue stream song played on the keyboard.
Therefore, I am disappointed whenever I attempt such fancy recipes that require artistic talent. That's why when I am making a cake, I prefer cakes that do not require special skills for decoration. The log cake is one of them. You do not need to squeeze the cream in a special way or make decorations from different materials to decorate it after you give it shape. It is enough to give the shape of a log and draw it with a fork and put a piece of pine branch next to it. In fact, it is not necessary, even if you do not put anything, something cute happens.
Tricks of the Yule Log Cake
Although it takes a while, this recipe is quite easy to make. In fact, I used the same cream for inside and outside and made the recipe much more practical. The most important thing to be careful about is not to be in a hurry. For example, if you hurry and try to open the roll before the cake cools, it could break. If you try to apply the cream before it freezes, it will run off. The best part is that you can start eating as soon as you finish the cake.
Yule Log Cake Recipe with Video
- 3 eggs,
- 3 tablespoons sugar,
- 1/2 cup flour,
- 1 tablespoon starch.
- 200 g chocolate,
- 200 ml heavy cream,
- 50 g butter.
- For the frosting, melt together the cream and butter,
- Add the mixture into the chocolate and mix until the chocolate melts,
- Set aside the mixture in the fridge,
- For the cake separate the egg yolks from egg whites,
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks using an electric mixer,
- Add in the sugar and continue beating for 2 more mins,
- Add egg yolks one by one and beat until combines in each time,
- Sift the flour and cornstarch into the mixture and fold with a spatula,
- Pour the batter into a large baking dish lined with parchment,
- Bake at 180 degrees celsius preheated oven until golden,
- Remove from the oven and roll,
- Cover with a kitchen towel, set aside until it becomes at room temperature,
- Beat the frosting until fluffy,
- Unroll the cake, and spread on the half of the frosting, then roll back,
- Cut the edges to smooth,
- Cut 1/3 of the cake off (make one cut with a slight diagonal) and attach it to the side of the longer log,
- Cover with the remaining frosting,
- Using a fork make a pattern on the surface of the cake,
- Decorate with chocolate winter figurines and sprinkle over some powdered sugar,
- Set aside in the fridge for 2 hours before serving.