Sourcherry Mekik Cake Recipe
The sourcherry mekik cake reminds me of alman pastası in a way. While it's not a food for everyone, it has a very loyal fan base. Sourcherry and pistachio versions have different fan groups. In this respect, it actually resembles alman pastası. The fans of its varieties are also different. Another common point is that they both have a perception that they cannot be made at home although they are very easy to make.
Okay, alright, although the German cake is easy, it takes a little longer to make, but mekik cake is easy to make and takes no time. If you are used to make cake at home, you can also make mekik cake. The featured of the mekik cake is that it is not made with oil like in Turkish style cakes, but with butter like American style cakes. In addition, the almond flour it contains is another ingredient that gives the mekik cake it special consistency.
You need to use a shuttle-shaped cake mold to make mekik (shuttle) cake. But if you say that the most important thing for me is not the shape but the taste, you can cook the mekik cake dough in muffin molds, cake molds or on a baking tray.
You can use fresh or frozen our cherries for the soır cherry mekik cake. If the sour cherries you are using are large, you can cut them into two or four.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 3 large eggs,
- 125 g butter at room temperature,
- 1 cup of powdered sugar,
- 1/2 cup of almond flour,
- 1 cup of flour,
- 1 pack of baking powder,
- Fresh or frozen sour cherries.
- Beat butter and powdered sugar in a deep bowl until smooth,
- Add the eggs and beat,
- Add almond flour and whisk,
- Keep whisking, adding the flour little by little.
- Add the baking powder in half of the flour,
- Add the remaining flour little by little and whisk,
- Divide the mixture into the mekik (shuttle) molds,
- Arrange the sour cherries on top,
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190 degrees until golden brown.