We have another miracle of aquafaba today. Though aquafaba is a miracle itself. But I think this mereng recipe made with it is a much bigger miracle.
Because there is not even one drop of egg white, but there is no flavor difference with the classic meringue recipe made with egg whites. If I have to admit, I wasn’t expecting such a good result in flavor in my first try, I just thought it would be a cookie with a similar consistency. I could not believe the result I got.
Let’s talk a little bit about aquafaba before moving on to the recipe. Aquafaba is boiled chickpea juice. When it is whipped, miraculously, it turns into a white foam like whipped egg whites. If you want to get more detailed information and witness this miracle with your eyes, you can take a look at the aquafaba recipe and video.
Let’s come to the vegan meringue recipe. There is a handicap in meringue made with Aquafaba. Aquafaba, chickpea water in other words, is largely made up of water, if it is whipped alone or whipped with other ingredients, when it waits and is exposed to heat, it melts and turns into water. This makes it difficult to make meringue.
To prevent this problem some uses cream of tartar, which is a chemical additive used as a stabilizer in most of the store bought foods. Although it is a material that I never use or want to use, I bought cream of tartar to try it in this recipe so that it would not be perceived as if I was making it up out of whole cloth and I tried the recipe with cream of tartar. As it is a kind of acid, it has a sour and sharp taste, and although I used it in a small amount, I felt the taste in the meringues. I obtained a slightly better result from this recipe in term of the consistency of the mixture. When squeezed with a piping bag, they kept that meringue shape until they were baked, but the consistency after baking was the same. As a result, I did not see any effect worth adding chemicals to the recipe.
In this recipe, I achieved the cream of tartar effect, namely the stabilization of the consistency, with lemon juice and cornstarch. When the mixture is prepared, it is not fixed enough to hold that shape you get by squeezing with a piping bag, but they do not evaporate and melt during baking.
How Long Can Vegan Mereng Be Stored?
This may be the most frustrating part of the recipe. The day Meringues are made, they have the crisp of classic meringue consistency we know. The other day some of them are like not baked enough, they are a little bit soft. They become stale on the third day and the fourth day they are like they were exposed to steam. If you want to eat them crispy, I recommend you consume it on the same day.
Meanwhile, the change takes place only in its consistency, its flavor always remains the same.
Enjoy the recipe…
- 10 tablespoons of aquafaba,
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar,
- 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice,
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch,
- Powder vanilla with the tip of the knife or 1 teaspoon of vanilla sugar .
- Beat the aquafaba and lemon juice in a narrow and deep bowl until it stiff,
- Continue to whisk and add the powdered sugar little by little,
- Add corn starch and vanilla and beat until stiff,
- Put the mixture piece by piece with a teaspoon on a tray covered with greaseproof paper,
- Bake for 20 minutes in a preheated oven at 120 degrees in upside down setting,
- Reduce the temperature to 100 degrees, bring it to the fan setting if there is, and cook for another 1 hour (until it is completely dry),
- Turn off the heat and leave the oven door closed until it cools down completely.