The caramelized fruit in upside down cakes already adds a legendary flavor, but the consistency of cakes are also different from other cakes. The moisture of the fruits spreads to the cake in some way and the cake has a moist texture. When that caramelized fruit and moist cake come together, it becomes a legend.
Plum cake is slightly different than banana and apricot cake. Since the fleshy parts of the plums are lighter in color than the skin, they do not give a good redness when you use them raw. To eliminate this obstacle, I caramelize the plums first in the pan and let the plums release their color. In doing so, the difficulty of making caramel feels itself a little bit more, but it’s worth it. When you add something cold after the sugar melts, the sugar hardens again naturally. That hardened sugar needs to be melted again. The essence of success in having a good texture in plum base is a little patience, if you cook long enough, the sugar will melt again eventually.
When adjusting the amount of sugar in the cake, make sure that the plum gives some sourness and fresh taste.
Enjoy the recipe…
- 2 eggs,
- 3/4 cups of sugar,
- 1 cup of milk,
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil,
- 2 cups of flour,
- 10 g of baking powder.
For plum base;
- 5 red plums,
- 1 tablespoon butter,
- 3 tablespoons sugar.
- Take the butter and sugar in a saucepan for the caramel,
- Cook, continuously stirring until the sugar melts (the color will turn brown),
- Add the sliced plums (the sugar will solidify part by part) and mix, cook until the sugar is completely melted and remove from the heat,
- For the cake beat the eggs and sugar until creamy,
- Add milk and boil and beat,
- Continue to whisk by adding flour gradually,
- After adding half of the flour, add baking powder with the flour,
- Check the consistency of the dough and add the required amount of flour and beat until smooth,
- If you see it needs more sugar, add extra sugar and beat,
- Place the plums at the bottom of a 26 cm round baking dish covered with wax paper,
- Pour the dough over and bake in a 180 C degree preheated oven until the toothpick comes out clean,
- Remove from the oven and turn upside down.