You can make this recipe with any fruit of your choice. The only thing to take into consideration is how juicy and sweet the fruit you are using is. If you are using soft juicy fruits like sour cherry or blueberries, keep in mind that they release a lot of water when exposed to heat. So you will have to let the water evaporate off for a couple of minutes when preparing the sauce. If you are using harder fruits like apple or quince, then the cooking time will be much less.
Also sour fruits like sour cherry need much more sugar than naturally sweeter fruits like apple. So you will need to adjust the amount of sugar you are using depending on the sweetness of the fruit you chose. Feel free to have fun with this recipe like I did!
- 200 gr. cold butter,
- 300 gr. flour,
- ¾ cup powdered sugar,
- 1 egg yolk,
- 25 gr. vanilla powder.
- 500 gr. sour cherries or any other fruits you like,
- 1 cup granulated sugar (to be adjusted).
- For the crust, stir together flour, powdered sugar and vanilla powder,
- Cut the cold butter into small cubes and add,
- Using your fingers, rub the butter into the flour mixture trying not to let the warmth of your hand melt the butter too much,
- Add in the egg yolk when the mixture becomes crumbly,
- Knead until everything comes together to form a stiff dough,
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and stick it into the fridge,
- Put the sour cherries and sugar in a saucepan, and cook over medium heat constantly stirring until most of the juices released by the fruits evaporate off,
- Cut the crust into two where one of the pieces is a little bigger than the other one,
- Stick the smaller pieces back into the fridge,
- Roll the larger piece out into a circle and place it in your tart pan, then put it back into the fridge,
- Now roll the smaller piece out and cut shapes from it using a cookie cutter,
- Take the tart pan out of the fridge and pour the sour cherry filling into it and even out,
- Now decorate the top with the shapes you cut from the crust,
- If you have excess dough, you can make tiny balls out of them and decorate the sides of your tart,
- Bake at 180 degrees celsius preheated oven until golden brown.