Sour Cherry Tart Recipe
You can make this recipe with any fruit of your choice. The only thing to take into consideration is how juicy and sweet the fruit you are using is. If you are using soft juicy fruits like sour cherry or blueberries, keep in mind that they release a lot of water when exposed to heat. So you will have to let the water evaporate off for a couple of minutes when preparing the sauce. If you are using harder fruits like apple or quince, then the cooking time will be much less.
Also sour fruits like sour cherry need much more sugar than naturally sweeter fruits like apple. So you will need to adjust the amount of sugar you are using depending on the sweetness of the fruit you chose. Feel free to have fun with this recipe like I did!
- 150 g cold butter,
- 250 flour,
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar,
- 1 egg yolk,
- 1 tbsp of ice cold water.
- 600 g sour cherries or any other fruits you like,
- 1 sugar,
- 2 tsps of cornstarch.
- For the filling take the sour cherries, cornstarch and sugar in a saucepan, and cook over medium heat constantly stirring until most of the juices released by the fruits and then evaporated off,
- For the crust cut the cold butter into small cubes and take into a mixing bowl,
- Add into the egg yolk, powdered sugar and flour,
- Using your fingers, rub the butter into the flour mixture trying not to let the warmth of your hand melt the butter too much,
- Add in the water when the mixture becomes crumbly,
- Knead until everything comes together to form a stiff dough,
- Cut the crust into two where one of the pieces is a little bigger than the other one,
- Keep the smaller piece in the fridge,
- Roll the larger piece out into a circle in between two pieces of wax paper and place it into a 21 cm tart pan, then place it in the fridge,
- Now roll the smaller piece out and cut shapes from it using a cookie cutter,
- Take the tart pan out of the fridge and pour the sour cherry filling into it and even out,
- Now decorate the top with the pieces you cut,
- Brush the top with egg white and sprinkle with sugar,
- Bake at 180 degrees celsius preheated oven until golden brown.