I have a recipe from Russia for you today. Okay, I know it looks intimidating and complicated. However it’s actually super simple to make, especially if you apply the tips I’m about to give you.
First of all, I would suggest you to make the cream filling one day before assembling the cake. The cream filling needs to be whisked a lot until it thickens, so it requires a little manpower. Also, sitting in the fridge for one night really helps it reach the right, easy-to-work consistency.
Secondly, do not leave your kitchen while baking the biscuit layers. Don’t forget that the baking time (4 mins) I’m giving in the recipe might only work for my oven. If your oven is small, the baking time might even reduce to 2 mins. You might even want to consider decreasing the baking temperature, if needed. So keep an eye and determine the right time and temperature yourself, by using some judgement.
It’s not a difficult recipe at all, but some patience is definitely needed. I guarantee, the result will be worth all the effort and waiting.
For the biscuit layers;
- 3 eggs,
- 100 g butter,
- 4 cups flour,
- 2 tablespoons sugar,
- 3 tablespoons honey,
- 1,5 teaspoon baking soda.
For the cream filling;
- 300 ml heavy cream,
- 200 ml sour cream or greek yogurt,
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar,
- 1 tablespoon honey.
- 1 cup walnuts,
- Remaining edges of the biscuits
- Melt the butter and let it cool,
- Put the honey and baking soda in a small saucepan and heat until it boils while stirring,
- In a bowl cream together the eggs and sugar,
- Add the melted butter and honey/baking soda mixture into the eggs, and continue whisking,
- Add the flour slowly and start mixing with your hands,
- Knead with your hands until everything comes together,
- Divide the dough into 6 pieces and let them rest for 10 mins,
- For the cream filling, beat heavy cream (and sour cream if you use sour cream) until thickens,
- Add sugar and beat 2-3 mins. more,
- In a large bowl combine the beaten cream with honey and greek yogurt if you use greek yogurt mix well,
- Take one of the dough pieces and roll out into a circle bigger than 24 cm on a well-floured surface,
- Bake in a 180 degrees celsius preheated oven for 4 mins (time may vary),
- Remove from oven and set aside,
- Repeat the same for all the other dough pieces,
- After the biscuits cool down, use a large 24 cm plate to trim them to be the same size,
- Place one of the biscuits on the cake platter,
- Smear some of the cream filling on top,
- Place another biscuit layer on top and repeat this until you use up all the biscuits,
- Finally smear the cream filling on top and on the sides of the cake and refrigerate the cake for 1 hour,
- Blend the trimmed parts of the biscuits and walnuts in a food processor, then cover the cake with this mixture,
- Refrigerate overnight and serve.