This sandwich cake is a kind of store bought confectionery named Luppo in Turkey. It became famous after one night it was announced that there would be a lock down during the weekend because of Covid-19 and lots of people rushed to the stores and one guy bought just a pack of Luppo.
To date, I have shared the recipes for relatively healthy (at least without additives) homemade versions of many store bought foods. Cocostar, petit beurre bicuits and home made Nutella are the leading ones. Luppo would have entered this list after the Luppo night.
Does Marshmallow Cook?
Let me answer the question in your mind right away. Marshmallow does not have a direct cooking process. Egg whites are cooked when mixed with hot caramel. There is no doubt in this regard. That caramel gets so hot that not just the whipped egg white, even your finger would cook if just one drip drops. So be very careful when preparing and adding it to the egg white and try not to have children or pets around.
There is no alternative to any materials used in marshmallow cream, you should use them all the same.
If you want to make Luppo with plain cake instead of cocoa cake, you can make plain cake without adding cocoa to your cake batter and by increasing the amount of flour a little if necessary.
Baking powder in the cake is not forgotten, it is not used, what makes it rise is fluffy egg whites. Therefore, make sure that the egg whites are fluffed well and do not kill the bubble while mixing with other ingredients (it is normal to lose some volume though).
Enjoy the recipe…
For the cake;
- 3 eggs (whites and yolks are separated),
- 3 tablespoons of sugar,
- 1/4 cup of oil,
- 2 tbsps of cocoa powder,
- 3 tablespoons flour.
For Marshmallow Filling;
- 1 large egg white,
- 2 tablespoons of sugar,
- 2 tablespoons of honey,
- 2-3 drops of lemon juice,
- Pinch of vanilla powder.
- 120 g chocolate.
- For the cake, whisk the egg whites in a narrow and deep bowl until stiff peaks,
- Add sugar and whisk until melted,
- Beat the egg yolks in a separate bowl,
- Add the oil and whisk,
- Add egg white to the egg yolks in pieces and mix,
- Add flour and cocoa powder sifting gradually and mix,
- Spread the mixture on a baking tray (not necessary to cover the entire tray) covered with greaseproof paper,
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees until the toothpick comes out clean,
- Set aside until it cools down completely,
- Meanwhile, for the filling, take the honey and sugar in a sauce pot and melt them on high heat,
- In a narrow and deep bowl, whisk the egg white until stiff peaks,
- Add lemon juice and vanilla powder and whisk,
- Add the melted sugar mixture to the egg white in the form of a thin string and whisk with a hand mixer at the same time,
- Cut the cooled cake with a round cookie cutter,
- Put 1 full teaspoon of marshmallow cream on top of one of the round slices, place another slice on top and smooth the edges,
- Prepare others in the same way,
- Melt the chocolate with bain marie method or just microwave it,
- Pour a full teaspoon of chocolate on top of the cake sandwiches, pour it over the edges and level it from the sides with the back of a teaspoon,
- Rest in the fridge until the chocolate is set.