Today we are having a guest from our neighbour Bulgaria. Medenki is a Bulgarian cookie. In Bulgarian and Russian cuisines honey is a common ingredient. Medovik cake is one of the well known recipes of the region which is also prepared with honey for example.
Medenki is nor known as much as medovik but I think it should be. It's a really delicious biscuit which can be easily prepared and baked. The harmony of cinnamon and chocolate is fantastic.
You can prepare them without chocolate by the way, it's not a must, but according to me it tastes better with chocolate.
If you don't like white chocolate, just use whichever you like.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 2 eggs,
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 heaping spoon of honey,
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil,
- 1 teaspoon baking soda,
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract,
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon,
- A pinch of salt,
- 4-4,5 cups of flour,
- 80 g white chocolate,
- 80 g bitter chocolate.
- Beat eggs, powdered sugar, honey, vegetable oil, baking soda, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt in a deep bowl,
- Add the flour gradually and knead until you have a lumpy consistency and a lightly sticky dough,
- Cover the dough with a plastic wrap and let rest for 25-20 min.,
- Take walnut sized pieces from the dough, roll a ball and then flatten between your hands,
- Place the biscuits into a baking sheet covered with parchement paper,
- Bake in a 170 C degrees pre-heated oven until lightly browned,
- Turn off the heat and let rest in the oven for ten mins. more,
- After the cookies are cooled down, melt the chocolates in separate cups in bain marie or microwave,
- Dip half of the cookies in white chocolate and other half in bitter chocolate and place on parchement paper,
- Keep the chocolates in the fridge until the chocolate is set,
- You can keep them at room temperature during the winter, it will be more convenient to keep them in the fridge in summer.